How Turkish sounds to you?

Guest   Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:10 am GMT
It sounds like arabic written with the Latin script.
Guest   Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:36 am GMT
">if Turkey is a Middle Eastern country because it's right beside Middle Eastern country like Israel(which it actually isn't) then Greece and Bulgaria should be Middle Eastern countries because its right beside a Middle Eastern country like Turkey, and with that Romania should be a Middle Eastern country because its right beside a ME country like Bulgaria, and if Romania is a ME country then Hungary should be too! then Austria, Germany, France, Spain too !<"

Constantinople has been traditionally the mark between West (Europe) and East (Mideast). Probably why Modern-day thrace is inside Europe and in the E.U. The divider of Europe from the Mideast, Asia starts from the Urals down all the way to Krasnodar then across the Black sea and outskirting Turkey.

">At first, you have to admit and absorb into your brains that Turkey is not a middleeastern country, go and learn some geography... Even if you count Turkey in middle eastern languages, it is still an Ural-Altaic language that you you will never be able to grasp the idea. Middle eastern people have somewhat darker skin compared to Turkish people. It is a perfectly definite idea that Turkish sounds much softer than French, German, Dutch and north germanic languages and that some Arabic, Farsi or Hebrew ones...<"

Turkish is a Altaic tongue, not an Ural-Altaic as some scholars in the past decades proposed it to be. Many now reconsider it is affilation with relation to the Uralic tongues; because quite frankly there is no solid evidence supporting it - it is just a speculation nonetheless. Turkey's western side has been historically occupied by Westerners, however, one has to remember that Turkey has been surrounded by the West and the East throughout the ages. And it is no coincidence that the Western side Turks are more Western then the Eastern Turks whom are more Islamo-principals. In the eyes of Westerners, Turkey has to accomplish 3 goals to be accepted in Europe. Turkey is very arrogant and very nationalistic about being reasonable of these 3 goals. This explains -perhaps- why THEY are in viewed in Western eyes as more oriental for the reason that Middle-Easterners tend to be unreasonable. Is it an islamic or cultural trait? Perhaps; perhaps both. One thing is for sure....Turkey may be a Westernized country but its culture / religion is thus far oriental / middle-eastern preferably in the Middle section and the Eastern section of Turkey.
MeralDemirel   Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:18 am GMT
im a Türk and really our language doesnt sound like Arabic nor Greek

but it is true that Easterns sound like Arabs cause they are mostly from Arab and Kürt origin.And those mentioned guttaral voices and ''rrrrrr'' which Kürts&Ermenis&Araps&French speak, are so ugly and rude in here and it makes you classified as ''cro''
Vladimir Tintor is gay   Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:54 am GMT
It sounds harsh
Guest   Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:59 pm GMT
"Israel is a Middle Eastern country and it is a few km away from Turkey. I know that Turkish would like to hear that their country is European but not, it's a Middle Eastern country . Deal with it. "

well, if turkey is middle eastern, and greece is so close you can swim to it, then why isnt Greece middle eastern? etc? the line has to be drawn somewhere. And it draws the line when it comes to culture. Thus, if Greece isn't middle eastern, neither is Turkey. They have a similar culture. At least as similar as Turkey and a middle eastern country.

Btw im only bringing Greece into this because it is a neighbor that is considered European.

and... no, Turkey does not want to hear it's a european country. No one here (in the general population, who has any sense... im not talking about the govt, because a country's govt does not define the country) wants to join the eu.

If you're not Turkish, you have no right to claim what the general population in the country thinks.
Guest   Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:03 pm GMT
As for how the language sounds, I can't tell because I speak it fluently. But all I can say is that there's a lot of different dialects... the dialect I speak doesnt have any gutteral sounds, but when you go towards the east the gutteral sounds start. And Kurdish kind of sounds a little like Russian I think...

people tell me that turkish sounds like french (but that's only because some of our words are french) and others tell me it sounds like Hungarian and Finnish.

I know that roots wise, the Turkic languages are most closely related to Hungarian and Finnish.

And then as for grammar, apparently it's most closely related to Japanese.

I have no idea why, but that's because I'm not that good with history...
Sorinescu Ceausescu   Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:23 pm GMT
How Turkish sounds to you?
Like Romanian.
K. T.   Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:38 pm GMT
Rosetta Stone uses Turkish as a demo language. I was surprised, since I
told them that I was interested in other languages when I ordered their demo.

It sounded okay to me. Adam for man, Kiz for girl. I don't know much about it.

I know that Turkish seems to be a favourite language for those who would like something more "exotic". Maybe I would learn it if I lived in Germany where I would have a chance to speak it with natives.
Guest   Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:39 pm GMT
Can Turks understand Turkmen, Uzbek, Kazakh, etc?
K. Y.   Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:50 pm GMT
"It sounds like arabic written with the Latin script."

I don't know much about the derivation of its words, but I have seen many words in Turkish that are the same or similar in Arabic.

I don't know the root, but here are a few

araba=car, I think
suni/sinai (My guess) artificial
hala/chala aunt
hardal/kardal (and in Hebrew, chardal), but this is mustard, so you can see that it is similar to French "moutarde". Don't know the root.
tabiat/tabiaa nature
pembe/bambi pink (these seem alike to me)

There are others, so maybe you DO here some Arabic-sounding words.

JMO

You may correct my arabic or Turkish. I cannot speak any Turkish at all.
K. T.   Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:58 pm GMT
That was my post.

"There are others, so maybe you DO HEAR some Arabic-sounding words)
Selma   Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:47 am GMT
I just found this site... looks interesting!!

Anyway, I speak Turkish and English fluently and understand Arabic to some extent. I must say that Turkish definately does not SOUND like Arabic.

We have many many similiar words, but the accent used to pronounce it is sooo different, for example:

When Turkish people speak, they pucker there lips a bit because of the special characters i, o, u (the ones with the double dot above them). Arabs have a very difficult time creating these sounds. So Turkish sounds softer because of this.

Funny story -- I slightly digress -- I was sitting in a cafe in Amman, and I saw two girls speaking, I couldn't hear them I was far away. Anyway, they kept puckering their lips when speaking, I told my husband, these girls are Turkish... well, I walked passed them to see if I was right, and I was, lol...

Ok, now... my husband (an arab) tells me all the time that he thinks that Turkish sounds like Farsi, Azeri, but I have had some American friends tell me it sounds French...
Guest   Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:08 am GMT
Can you understand other Turkic languages?

Kazakh, Uyghur, Uzbek, Turkmen, Tatar, Azeri?
Shrey   Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:35 pm GMT
I for some reason, feel that Turkish sounds like a mix of Hungarian and Arabic...with a combination of all those letters with umlauts (and the i) and the guttural sounds.....i think it sounds really exotic.
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:32 am GMT
Turkish sounds like French, Persian and Greek to me. It has also close resemblence to Balkan countries, because I'm from Bosnia and some of the words are the same. But I have also heard some of the people from Black Sea talk and then its sounds more like Georgian/Russian or some other slavic language.