Is Oxford English dictionary the best English dictionary?

Guest   Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:45 pm GMT
Is Oxford English dictionary the best English dictionary?
Guest   Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:47 pm GMT
nope, I like American Heritage dictionary better.
Guest   Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:51 pm GMT
Why do you think American Heritage dictionary is better?
Skippy   Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:57 pm GMT
I prefer Webster's.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:34 pm GMT
Oxford is British.
Americans are naturally inclined to favour their own American dictionaries for obvious reasons.

The Oxford dictionary deals with the English Language....with British spellings and expressions.

The American dictionaries deal with the American Language....with American spellings and expressions.

We are talking about two separate Languages here! :-)

Just recently the UK airports at London Heathrow and London Gatwick (which handle most of the flights to and from the United States) have opened up an Interpretor Service Desk at all terminals ...with a special service provided for Americans....... :-)

It's all so logical, isn't it?
Travis   Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:44 pm GMT
From a scholarly standpoint, though, honestly, the OED dictionary is the only English dictionary that I would even consider to be an option. I really would not consider any other English dictionary as even approaching it in that regard myself. Also, while it is written and published in the UK, it really is actually not that, well, partisan with respect to "British" versus "American" spellings and usage, all things considered.
Native Korean   Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:12 am GMT
I think Longman Advanced Learners Dictionary is the best but that's just my personal preference.
Mary   Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:15 pm GMT
It depends on what do use it for, I think. Advanced learners dictionaries (by any publisher) are more suitable for learners, while Oxford Eng.Dict. is an explanatory dict. which not specially taillored for educational purposes. I use advanced learners dictionary (Macmillan, but Longman or Cambridge are also very good) everyday, while OED - only for special purposes (to compare pronunciation or to check ethymology)
Guest   Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:06 pm GMT
''I think Longman Advanced Learners Dictionary is the best''

I prefer Cambridge Advanced Learner's
Longman has a nice pronunciation dic (by JC Wells) and a nice American Dic.