HOW CAN I LEARN FRENCH PRONUNCIATION?

K. T.   Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:47 pm GMT
El greg verdadero hubiera escrito algo como "écrivez-moi en français", n'est-ce pas?"

Actually, I think he would have used the "Tu" form. Even though his French is very, hmm, academic-sounding, he tends to use the familiar form.

Est-ce que je me trompe?
greg   Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:53 pm GMT
K. T. : « Est-ce que je me trompe? ».

Non, t'as tout bon !
K. T.   Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:02 pm GMT
I would underline this (possibly missed by Marius)- short of going to Paris, get a book on pronunciation and phonics WITH RECORDINGS and diagrams of how to produce the sounds. I believe that many people can improve their pronunciation, intonation and sound more native by making the small effort (in Russian, Spanish, Japanese, English, and French) of buying such a product like "Pronounce it Perfectly in ______________(google your target language here)."

Why go through life with a suboptimal accent? Making the effort to sound native works like a charm, una gotita de miel.

French is an easy language to mangle to the degree that the natives can't understand the speaker. That's why I'd recommend a half-month of regular work with such a book and recording. If your French is bad you will not be understood easily and it sounds terrible.

If you speak Spanish badly, it will certainly grate on the ears of native speakers, but they will probably get the gist of what you say. I suspect that the same is true for German.

In short, make the effort to sound native. Even if you don't get to the "spy" level, you will make it easier for your listener and yourself
when you travel.
Gabriel   Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:18 am GMT
Gracias por tu respuesta, Greg. Curiosamente, fueron las canciones de Edith Piaf que me vinieron a la memoria cuando planteaba mi pregunta.
Estoy aprendiendo francés por mi cuenta desde hace unos meses, y es mi intención lograr una pronunciación adecuada desde el principio.
K. T.   Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:25 am GMT
You will probably acheive your goal, Gabriel.
Guest   Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:51 am GMT
Mireille Mathieu is much better singer than Piaf and everyone else. Listen to her.
K. T.   Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:00 am GMT
Wow! She has an extremely fast vibrato. Dolly Parton also has that even though her style is different.
Guest   Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:20 am GMT
Yo creo que a Dolly Parton le afectó quitarse varias costillas. Antes cantaba mejor.
Guest   Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:40 am GMT
Ribs? Why would she remove her ribs?
Guest   Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:02 am GMT
Para tener cintura de avispa.