De Leon

Joseph   Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:42 pm GMT
De Leon
How would you pronounce this last name in english?
Willy   Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:45 pm GMT
Of Lion

(deh lêón)
Joseph   Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:53 pm GMT
You didn't get it Willy,
i don't want anybody to translate that last name,
i just want to know what way someone from any
english speaking language will pronounce it,

For example americans native pronounce the last name

sosa

as

so s...
Willy   Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:58 pm GMT
That's why I don't speak Spanish in English. I'm a native speaker of English, not Spanish. Locos!
Robert   Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:06 pm GMT
Willy doesn't speak English very well and he's no native speaker. For some unknown reason he enjoys telling everyone on this forum that he's a native English speaker, then he proceeds to discredit his own claim by writing piss-poor messages in a confused form of English that generally follows the grammatical structure of a Romance language (it would appear that his native tongue is Spanish).

One need only look at his first sentence in his response to Joseph. In his very first sentence he gives himself away as non-native speaker. Why did he respond the way he did? Perhaps he doesn't understand the question.
Plumber   Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:12 pm GMT
"day lay own" is an Anglicized pronunciation of De Leon. It's "deh leh ohn" in correct Spanish.
Sander   Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:24 pm GMT
Sander   Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:25 pm GMT
Eh, that is how it would sound in Dutch.Im not really a pro in descriving the word so I recorded it.Hope that's not a problem.
Amor   Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:32 pm GMT
day lay ohn
Deborah   Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:31 am GMT
Joseph, it's funny you should ask about how "De Leon" would be pronounced in English, because when I was in the 6th grade, I had a teacher whose pronunciation of it irritated me. We were learning about early Spanish explorers in North American, one of whom was Juan Ponce de Leon. The teacher didn't know how to pronounce it in Spanish, but she apparently knew that the stress should be on the last syllable. So she pronounce "Leon" like the English name "Leon," but with the accent on the last syllable. The whole name sounded like "Wahn Pahnsuh day Lee-AHN." Actually, she ran the "day" together with "Pahnsuh", so it was "PAHNsuhday."

If my attempt to convey her pronunciation doesn't make any sense to you, let me know and I'll try to write it in some phonetic transcription.
Deborah   Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:34 am GMT
I forgot to say that I'm an American, and so was my teacher. I've also heard some Americans say "de" with a schwa, and "Leon" just like the name in English (LEE-ahn).
Deborah   Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:35 am GMT
Sander, you're really getting good mileage from the free web hosting, aren't you? Good to hear your voice!
~Viva la Revolución~   Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:20 am GMT
I think names should be pronounced the same or at least similar to how they are in the language they are from.

So "De Leon" should be "Day Lay Ohn"
Deborah   Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:36 am GMT
Joseph, there is no one way that English speakers pronounce it, since it isn't an English name. Those who recognize it as a Spanish name and know how to pronounce words in Spanish will probably say it that way.
Willy   Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:50 am GMT
<<Willy doesn't speak English very well and he's no native speaker.>>

I am a native English and you are such a stupid to think that I'm not and a native English.