Reply to a question about Romance languages

Ode   Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:47 pm GMT
Hi!

I wrote this reply but somehow the thread disappeared.
Feel free to lock this.
I simply wanted to post what I had written.
Thank you.

<< Practical question (since I don't have forever to master my next language): Of the major Romance languages, which have you found the easiest to learn?

I've read that Spanish seems easier than French, but only at first, due to pronunciation--eventually French becomes easier, due to the grammar. Is that right? I don't have much experience with Italian or Portuguese, but I'm guessing that they are similar in difficulty to Spanish, with Portuguese maybe a little harder because of pronunciation. And I assume Romanian is the most difficult.

Note: My preference is Italian, which I haven't studied yet. I know a little French and Spanish. >>

Hi!

From my experience, you're right about French being easier than Spanish.
French grammar is easier, and even the pronunciation is not as irregular as one might think. Once you know the basic rules, you know how to pronounce new words.

Portuguese is easier than Spanish in the sense that it's more flexible and there are many variations not only in terms of pronunciation and vocabulary, but also the grammar.
This might appear confusing first, but you get used to it quickly.

I don't know much about Italian. All I know is that although it's harder than French, it's lexically and grammatically closer to French than Spanish, yet due to its pronunciation it's easier for an Italian and a Spanish speaker to understand each other orally.

Romanian is just different. It is essentially just as Latin as other Romance languages, but it's just different.

Regards
Guest   Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:23 am GMT
Ode, Italian is NOT harder than French. You must be dreaming. Italian is tougher than Spanish but less so than French. And Romanian is tougher than all the others because its grammar system is very much like Latin.
Guest   Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:40 am GMT
Spanish is the easiest lo learn, and easy pronunciation. French the hardest because of the germanic sounds
K. T.   Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:29 am GMT
I haven't found any of them to be easier or harder to learn than the others, but the jury is still out on Romanian. It doesn't seem so bad because I studied the others (Fr, Sp, Port, and It.) first, but I think it
would have been tough going had it been my introduction to this family.

Some languages are going to be tougher for some people, I imagine. If you prefer one of the cultures, maybe that language would be easier.
Guest   Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:21 am GMT
Well, some people in Europe study Classical Latin at school, and the complicated Latin grammar should make them familiar with Romanian grammar, which is the closest to Latin grammar. Then you just learn the lexicon, and voilĂ !

For Italians, Romanian is much more easy to learn than French, there is an Italian community in Timisoara (Romania) and I asked my Italian friends that learned Romanian to do business in the area, some mentioned the hardest part of Romanian is the grammar. The pronunciation and spelling is just like Italian. A phonetic language, what you see is what you get.
Ode   Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:53 pm GMT
"A phonetic language, what you see is what you get."

French is also a phonetic language. After learning some basic rules which are not that hard at all, you know how to pronounce new words.
At least in French you can pretty much guess where the stress is.
In Italian and Romanian the word stress is not indicated, except in the last syllable in Italian.
Guest   Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:04 pm GMT
"French is also a phonetic language."
Erh, the discrepancy between the written and spoken forms are like a source of concern... it's just as chaotic as in English.

"At least in French you can pretty much guess where the stress is. "
And where is it?
Guest   Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:07 pm GMT
"French is also a phonetic language."

NO WAY, French is as Phonetic as English. You never pronounce the last 3 or 4 letters, and the anoying liassions...

LES ENFANTS

(le zonfoh) pronounced.

LE ZONFO is the LATIN PHONETIC! not like the useless French ending ANTS.

French "it's just as chaotic as in English."

I agree.
Guest   Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:11 pm GMT
LES ENFANTS (French writing) THE CHILDREN
LE ZONFO (Latin Phonetics)

Also the French nasal sounds are not Latin, they are Germanic.
Guest   Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:40 pm GMT
No , they are Celtic.
Charlotte Coupart   Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:51 pm GMT
En tout cas, c'est totalement beau, le français...
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:06 am GMT
"LES ENFANTS (French writing) THE CHILDREN
LE ZONFO (Latin Phonetics)"

Why French is such a huge deviation from Latin spelling and phonetics?
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:14 am GMT
LES ENFANTS - Even English is more phonetic than French in this example. lol
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:08 am GMT
<<Italian is tougher than Spanish >>

How?
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:11 am GMT
<<Romanian is just different. It is essentially just as Latin as other Romance languages, but it's just different.>>

I think what makes romanian different, is that its more latin than other romance languages.