Citation de Léon Blum à taduire

Guest   Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:05 am GMT
Español: Cualquier país que pretende asegurar a los hombres la libertad ha de empezar por garantizarles la existencia.

I woud use the subjunctive mood ( "pretenda ") since it is an hypothesis.
Mallorquí.   Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:13 am GMT
In latin:

Primum vivere, deinde philosophare.
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:42 pm GMT
Español: Toda sociedad que pretenda asegurar la libertad a sus habitantes ha de empezar por garantizarles la existencia.

It's very important to use the subjunctive "pretenda", not the indicative "pretende".
Gast2   Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:24 pm GMT
guest Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:33 pm GMT
<<English:
Any society pretending to assure freedom to men must begin by guaranteeing them existence.

Deutsch:
Jede Gesellschaft die vorgibt Freiheit Männern zu versichern, muss beginnen indem sie sie Existenz versichert. >>

guest, hören Sie bitte auf, in eine Sprache zu übersetzen, die nicht ihre
Muttersprache ist! Ihre Übersetzung ist blanker Unsinn.

''hommes'' kann hier nur mit ''Menschen'' übersetzt werden, wenn Sie sich nicht vorwerfen lassen wollen, sexistisch zu sein.

Ausgehend von ihrer deutschen Übersetzung würde ich folgendes vorschlagen:

Jede Gesellschaft, die vorgibt, Menschen Freiheit zuzusichern, muß damit beginnen, ihnen Existenz zuzusichern.

Jede Gesellschaft, die vorgibt, den Menschen Freiheit zuzusichern, muß damit beginnen, ihnen Existenz zu garaniteren.

Jede Gesellschaft, die vorgibt, den Menschen Freiheit zuzugestehen, muß damit beginnen, ihnen Existenz zu garaniteren.

Jede Gesellschaft, die vorgibt, den Menschen Freiheit zu garantieren, muß damit beginnen, ihnen auch Existenz zu garaniteren.

Aus meiner Sicht ist sogar der Ausgangssatz (soweit ich ihn verstehe)blanker Unsinn, nicht wegen der Sprache oder der sprachlichen Korrektheit, aber inhaltlich. Zugegeben, er klingt gut, ist aber völlig unrealistisch. Eine Gesellschaft wird niemals den Menschen Freiheit garantieren können, das ist absurd, noch wird sie es je wollen.
Gesellschaften tendieren dazu, je länger sie bestehen, desto mehr Freiheiten einzuschränken. Das ist an Deutschland besonders schön zu sehen.

Warum muß sie denn nur beginnen, den Menschen Existenz zuzusichern? Wie, bitteschön, will man denn Existenz garantieren?

The sentence we shall translate is to my mind pure nonsense. It sounds good, but it is nonsense. How can a society guarantee existence? This is never possible in the intended sense. If someone kills you, you're dead, regardless of the guarantee of existence granted by society.

What does it mean in the spotlight of bullying? To whom will society guarantee freedom and existence? To the aggressor/attacker/offender or the victime which probably is forced to defend itself?

Society will never like to guarantee freedom to individuals, it likes to rule them. It will like to teach to children that it guarantees freedom, wellfare, security etc., but one day they will learn that that are lies. Germany is a good example for that. Societies, on the long run, will tend to constrict freedom as far as possible.
Guest   Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:26 pm GMT
fuck off german asshole
K. T.   Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:49 pm GMT
"I don't think "pretending" is the right word to use in English, in this case."-Same guest

I had the same impression. It depends on how you think about the shade of meaning in French. Is it a faint criticism of another country like the US (because we promote democracy/freedom)? In such a case, perhaps "claiming to" would point the reader in English to the intended meaning.

If the meaning is not veiled, then perhaps "hoping to" or "intending to" would work. It's probably better to see the context.

I wouldn't use a hip rendition of this. It's easy to sound dated with slang (unless we are just joking about it.)
Guest   Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:10 pm GMT
It's very important to use the subjunctive "pretenda", not the indicative "pretende".
Yeah, Spanish would not be the same without the subjuntive mood. I'm a big fan of it.
greg   Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:26 pm GMT
same Guest : « I don't think "pretending" is the right word to use in English, in this case. »

Je suis de ton avis aussi : j'aurais utilisé An <claim> ou <intend> si j'avais dû traduire Fr <prétendre>, dans cette phrase.

Guest : « Elke gemeenschap die het voor doet komen vrijheid aan mannen te beloven, moet beginnen door deze hun bestaan te verzekeren ».

J'aurais opté pour Né <aan mensen> plutôt que <aan mannen>. Peut-on faire un parallèle entre Al <Mensch> {Person} vs <Mann> {Typ} et Né <mens> {persoon} vs <man> {knul} ?

Gast2 : « Aus meiner Sicht ist sogar der Ausgangssatz (soweit ich ihn verstehe) blanker Unsinn, nicht wegen der Sprache oder der sprachlichen Korrektheit, aber inhaltlich. Zugegeben, er klingt gut, ist aber völlig unrealistisch. Eine Gesellschaft wird niemals den Menschen Freiheit garantieren können, das ist absurd, noch wird sie es je wollen. »

Mais c'est exactement ce que dit Léon Blum (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Léon_Blum) : il est illusoire de prétendre (= vouloir, = s'imaginer) apporter la liberté aux hommes sans garantir (= donner réellement) au préalable un niveau minimal de sécurité pour tous. Freiheit für alle, das wird von Blum gar nicht behauptet. Er sagt aber aus, daß es eine Voraussetzung dagegen gibt, um allgemeine Freiheit zu ermöglichern. Nach Blum liegt diese Vorbedingung in der Vorbereitung des Kampfes ums Überleben oder/und Wohlbefinden. Ich glaube, daß dieser Satz von Blum total zeitgemäß leider ist : unsere politischen Führungen (irgendwo in Europa) versuchen "freiheitliche" (= libérales, = ultralibérales, = laissez-faire) Wirtschaftspolitike an uns zu verticken, während unsere Lebensverhältnisse werden von ihnen absichtlich verschlechtert.
Gast2   Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:11 pm GMT
greg: Je croi que je sais que Léon Blum vaudrait dire. Je l'ai entendu quelques année plus tôt. Mais je n' sais pas qu' il et de Léon Blum. J' ai ponsée qu' il est quelque chose général.

At least for the english translation, I think the term ''pretending'' is exactly that what I mean society does: it pretends that it is possible to guarantee ''existance'' (whatevery is meant by that). And because we -- the people -- are granted the right to exist society takes itself the right to rule us. And the rules grow more and more and affect private life more and more ... ad infinitum.

But nobody and no institution can see the future nor what is happening all over the country. Nobody can guarantee existance, security, etc. exept that you will die someday. So we are taken our freedom and receive nothing but rules in return. And this is called civilisation!
Guest   Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:32 pm GMT
^OK, if you don't exactly know what is meant by acknowledging someone's "existence" before their freedom, then you shouldn't have an opinion about the statement in the first place.
Gast2   Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:00 pm GMT
''Existence'' can mean everything here, ranging form pure being alive to the income someone earns. What it exactly means isn't stated. So I can't know about it. It's not my fault that they didn't give a definition. I thought that was clear from what I have written.
greg   Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:47 pm GMT
Gast2 : « Je croi que je sais que Léon Blum vaudrait dire. Je l'ai entendu quelques année plus tôt. Mais je n' sais pas qu' il et de Léon Blum. J' ai ponsée qu' il est quelque chose général. »

Dont acte.

Gast2 : « At least for the english translation, I think the term ''pretending'' is exactly that what I mean society does: it pretends that it is possible to guarantee ''existance'' (whatevery is meant by that). And because we -- the people -- are granted the right to exist society takes itself the right to rule us. And the rules grow more and more and affect private life more and more ... ad infinitum. »

La relations qu'entretiennent l'individu avec la société peuvent être discutées à l'infini. Enfant, l'individu est étroitement confronté à la société familiale, puis scolaire. Adulte, la personne voit sa liberté limitée par le respect de la liberté d'autrui et cette restriction fait l'objet d'un contrat social (parfois dévoyé : corruption, népotisme, prévarication, bureaucratie, populisme, forfaiture, concussion, démagogie, clientélisme, technocratie) voire d'un anticontrat asocial (despotisme, dictature, césarisme, caporalisme, démocrature, vedettariat).

Mais je pense que Blum faisait référence à un contrat social idéal : celui qui permet à l'homme de vivre décemment, celui qui interdit à une minorité de puissants ou de riches de se prévaloir de la libre propriété (souvent assimilée à la "liberté") pour rogner les libertés de la majorité des opprimés et des pauvres.
greg   Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:49 pm GMT
ERRATUM → **Les** relations **qu'entretient** l'individu avec la société [...].