Dutch surnames in French, and related issues.

Guest   Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:13 pm GMT
>>The -ic , -an, and -ese endings to denote nationality derive from Latin, hence the influence of Latin is not only in vocabulary but also in morphology. English uses Latin endings to produce "Chinese", "German", "Italian", etc... <<

Use of foreign suffixes, not unique to English. Compare the Dutch words lekkage, vrijage, danseres, meesteres, and lerares. They all contain French suffixes.
Guest   Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:16 pm GMT
Wow, I didn't know the influence of Latin and neoLatin languages over the Germanic ones was that enormous.
Guest   Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:24 pm GMT
<<>>The -ic , -an, and -ese endings to denote nationality derive from Latin, hence the influence of Latin is not only in vocabulary but also in morphology. English uses Latin endings to produce "Chinese", "German", "Italian", etc... <<
>>

Yes, these are compliments to our native germanic suffixes, like -ish (protoGermanic -isk):
English, Scottish, Dutch (corruption of Dutish), Finnish, etc.

Romance languages have borrowed this suffix several times: as French -ais, and as Italian -esco (Fr. -esque)

Wow, the Germanic influence over the Romance languages is Great
Guest   Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:28 pm GMT
It can't be that way because already Latin used -icus. English -ic derives from Latin -icus, not from -isk.
Guest   Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:30 pm GMT
<,English 'have' coming from Latin 'Habere' or English 'long' coming from French 'long'? Or even 'time' coming from Latin 'tempus'? Nor does the word 'seem' come from French 'sembler', that one is a Norse word. >>

Yup, exactly.

also, 'short', vs. 'court
'for' vs 'pour'/'por'
etc

English is very germanically English :)

wehate that latin sh*t
Guest   Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:31 pm GMT
<<It can't be that way because already Latin used -icus. English -ic derives from Latin -icus, not from -isk. >>

Dude, get some reading glasses...
no one said anything about -ic < -icus

we were talking about OE -iSc < -iSk

totally different suffix
Guest   Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:33 pm GMT
<<we were talking about OE -iSc < -iSk
>>

English -ish comes from Old English -isc...
Guest   Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:48 pm GMT
So in total, all these things (core majority word-stock, syntax/sentence structure, modifiers, morphology, etc) all prove that English is a distinct language in its own right.

It is not a jumble of Old English and French/Latin, nor a product of any combination of those three. It is its own language, always has been, and always will be.

<Modern English is some sort of Norman French with Latin words and with Germanic grammar. " > --This is a myth and utter bullsh*t.
Guest   Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:56 pm GMT
In spite of English stems from a Germanic language, there is more mutual intelligibility between English and Spanish than between English and Icelandic. That is a fact. A English speaker could get more from a text in Spanish than one writen in German . No English speaker coucld recognize the relationship between "much" and "mycket" with the sole knowledge of the English language whereas "much" and "mucho" are almost the same. That is also a funny aspect of English, I mean, appart from the inmense amount of Latin derived words, there are many words which despite deriving from OE, ended up being more similar to Latin and neoLatin ones than to the cognates of the rest of Germanic languages. For example much is more similar to Spanish "mucho" than to "mycket" and day resembles Spanish "dia" more than German "tag". It seems that English wants to become Latin! LoL
Guest   Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:28 pm GMT
<<In spite of English stems from a Germanic language>>

English not only stems from a germanic language, it *IS* a germanic language (and happily so)

<<A English speaker could get more from a text in Spanish than one writen in German>>

This is not because of mutual intelligibilty, not because English is like a romance language (it isn't), but because English speakers are familiar with Spanish. Almost all English speakers have *some* knowledge of Spanish--not because it's anything like English. It isn't. But because we are exposed to it almost daily, and learn it in school. We know what Spanish prepositions mean, and we have some knowledge of Spanish conjugations, and what "el" and "la" mean. If you gave a Spanish text to a person in Northern England who had never had any language contact other than English, he would NOT understand Spanish any more than Icelandic, Fool.

<<"much" and "mucho" are almost the same>>

Maybe this is Spanish trying to immitate English, you germanic wannabe! HAHA, even your sister languages do not use a word that sounds like a germanic one! HAHAHAHAHAHA

same for "dia" HAHAHA like Frisian 'dei' or Dutch, Swedish 'dag' HAHAHA. Nazi-wannabe!!!!
Guest   Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:28 pm GMT
"Did you know, that in France over 1,3 million (that's 1.300.000 in full) people have a Dutch surname? On a population of roughly 58 million people that is a rather large percentage"
I don't know the accuracy of these number,but let's calculate: it is 2% of the population (the whole country is 63millions, not 58). 2% is not what I would call a rather large percentage. Especially in comparating them with people with Italian, Spanish or Portuguese, which should surround 25%.
Also, those "Dutch" names are moslty Flemish, which is not exactly the same. This is not surprising since a part nord-pas de Calais was conquiested over former Flemish lands.

"Virtually the entire area North west of Paris has towns with Dutch origins, as do the people who live there. Fascinating isn't it? "
hahaha!!! look at what is this "entire north west of Paris" that has Dutch (Flemish in fact), the little blue corner at Belgian border! hahaha!!!
Guest   Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:29 pm GMT
...conti.

see how you sound?

you're a complete idiot and a discredit to your Spanish-speaking (i.e. Mexican't) race
Guest   Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:31 pm GMT
"Northern England who had never had any language contact other than English"

The people in northern England are all going to Spain for their vacations (and a huge number of them emigrate to Spain to have better health conditions and more sun, so I think they would have a lot of contact with Spanish.
Guest   Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:34 pm GMT
"Virtually the entire area North west of Paris has towns with Dutch origins, as do the people who live there. Fascinating isn't it? "
hahaha!!! look at what is this "entire north west of Paris" that has Dutch (Flemish in fact), the little blue corner at Belgian border! hahaha!!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/Dutcharea.png
Guest   Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:38 pm GMT
I'm from Yorkshire (North England for Americans) and I must say that despite I never studied Spanish I can grasp the broad meaning of short and easy texts writen in Spanish. I can't say the same about Icelandic, it is totally alien to me.