Wéorfjur ði Englece sprac léren?

Guest   Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:03 am GMT
anyone translate this?

<<Ie los ezgojiri parqui me plazee, i qui mas dai ezgojir otrum lingo?
Ie simplema consiter qui vi yes'te figurato lingos de ficziones! Qui, vi qui desere me fazir par qui creir ie real iste lingo de mier? Fueri de viz cabales, dich ie!
Vi yes parloto disparates, de qui me parlore qui iste lingo no yes real quandi vi miz de rect yes'lo impleato! Maz en tuti cazo, no me antohee de gortez importanzia, parqui yestim tuti figlites de femazas de cotumbres soezes! Ja ja ja, te vien de guzto alum bar echat?>>
Caspian   Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:09 am GMT
I can kind of understand, wait a minute
Caspian   Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:14 am GMT
I can translate some words:
parqui = why/because
me plazee - please me / I like ??
Otrum lingo = other language
simplema = simply
Ie = the / it ?
lingos de ficziones = fictional languages
qui desere me fazir = who wants to make (for) me
lingo de mier = mother language
parlato = speak (spoken?)
no yes real = isn't real
quandi = when ?
impleato = incomplete?
Maz en tuti cazo = but in any case
importanzia = importance
guzto = like?

These are just guesses, but they seem to make sense
Caspian   Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:16 am GMT
creir = create
Guest   Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 am GMT
What languages do you know, Caspian?
Caspian   Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:41 am GMT
In order of fluency:
English
German
French
Chinese (Mandarin)
Italian
Portuguese
Lithuanian

Portuguese and Lithuanian I only know little of, but I can converse a bit. All the others I am reasonably fluent - I can converse comfortably.

How about you?
K. T.   Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:11 pm GMT
Ah, well, that answers my question from another thread. You don't speak Spanish. If your accent is good, then that's a good list. It looks like my list with some variations. I didn't ask the question, though.
I'd like to know more about how Lithuanian came to be on your list.
Caspian   Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:15 pm GMT
KT
French, German and Italian I learn at school, Chinese I learn myself because I am interested by it, and Lithuanian I am learning by myself, and with friends because some of my school friends are Lithuanian, so they help me - this persuaded me to get a Teach Yourself Lithuanian book and cassette, so I am now learning it - it's interesting; it's the only Baltic language still alive (along with Latvian).

I think my accent is alright in all the languages - but I need to build up a lot more vocabulary in Chinese, and learn more characters.

No, I don't speak Spanish - I know a little Portuguese (Portuguese may be below Lithuanian actually), and if I learn it in the future, it should be relatively easy because of having learnt French and Italian.

What's your list?
K. T.   Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:26 pm GMT
I usually say that I speak English, French, Spanish, Japanese and German well enough to get into and out of trouble. I speak some other languages somewhat, read and understand them (Italian, Portuguese), and I know some other languages enough for some basic communication
(Russian, for example). I'm always studying languages, so languages that aren't on my list still interest me.

What's your native language, Caspian?
Caspian   Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:12 pm GMT
My native language is English; I'm guessing yours is too?
Yes, I agree that it is difficult to know when to start saying that you can speak the language. Because of Italian, I can practically understand most written Spanish - but I can't speak a word.
Yes, loads of other languages interest me as well - I have contemplated trying Japanese, but I don't like the way they mix Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana in the same sentence!
K. T.   Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:44 pm GMT
Yes, English is my native language, and yes, you picked up on my hesitation to say that I speak certain languages.

Yes, Japanese is a unusual because of the way it mixes syllabaries with Chinese characters and occasionally roman letters. I don't know if there is another language which mixes characters like that. Maybe Korean uses Chinese characters and their homegrown system at times...

I don't recommend that people learn Japanese unless they are going to be living there, doing business there or just enjoy the culture (maybe a Japanese spouse). It's a huge time investment even for a language enthusiast.
K. T.   Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:47 pm GMT
Sheesh. "Japanese is an unusual language."

Italian is close to Spanish. Close enough. They're both easy on the ears.
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:07 am GMT
Japanese is easy on the ears? Have you ever seen a Japanese anime with teenager girls? It's the horridest highest pitched shreecking in the world!
"Burrito Chacha Meh   Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:16 am GMT
<<Italian is close to Spanish. Close enough. They're both easy on the ears.>>

Eww, gross... Spanish sounds dirty. All I think of is a dirty, greasy illegal when I hear it, or an impoverished cleaning lady. What a shame! Spanish from Spain doesn't sound nearly as horrendous, though it is still a fairly unattractive language, second only to Arabic in the ugly factor...
K. T.   Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:29 am GMT
I meant that Italian and Spanish are easy on the ears. I feel neutral about Japanese. I think Kanji are beautiful, though.

If you don't like a certain accent in Spanish, you can always try to learn another accent.

Many people are "dirty" not just poor people without immediate access to water.

I've never been turned onto the charm of Arabic, but some of the phrasing interests me, and I've played around with the language.