Melissa Scott's language skills.

Katalaveno   Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:01 pm GMT
I have seen this pastor preach on various channels here in S. California, is she reliable when translating from Greek into English? As well as Latin into Greek, and English? etc.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yTy2zfok7T8
Sorinescu Ceausescu   Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:56 pm GMT
I don't know if she's a reliable translator, but she's one hot looking babe.
Katalaveno   Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:16 am GMT
Is the Greek she's translating from similar or dissimilar from Ancient, Coin, or Modern Greek? Or is the New Testament Greek in a group of its own? For the reason that I have recognized a lot of familiar words such as: kai = and , kristos = christ, deos = god etc. which are common in the other stages of Greek.
K. T.   Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:05 pm GMT
Okay, Katalaveno. You made me laugh with your nick. Good one.

I have never seen a female or a male preach/teach like that. Interesting.
Is this done in seminaries? I read that she knows twenty languages, but I have not researched this.

Although it is certainly possible to study twenty or thirty languages (probably more in some cases), I've yet to meet someone who can read, write and speak twenty languages well. It doesn't mean that such a person doesn't exist...
Katalaveno   Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:06 am GMT
+I have never seen a female or a male preach/teach like that. Interesting.
Is this done in seminaries? I read that she knows twenty languages, but I have not researched this. +

Neither have I. To answer your question, yes; she does seminaries in S. California. In my view, she can read them not speak them. Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic? and Latin seem to be her fortes though.

I am glad you have found my nickname entertaining. Is New Testament Greek different or the same as the other ones mentioned above^ ?
K. T.   Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:21 am GMT
Biblical Greek is known as Koine Greek afaik.

I study Modern Greek because I like modern languages. Greek is "cool" though because of that ancient connection.
K. T.   Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:24 am GMT
After I wrote that, I found an article on Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koine_Greek