Because of the power and presence of English...

William   Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:53 am GMT
... is there really no clear "2nd" most important world language?

In politics, business, science, entertainment is usually dominate in the international setting. Yet many people still insist that French is still the 2nd most important. Ok, but why? What facts support that claim nowadays? I know it was an influencial langauge in the past but now English is the most influencial and necessary European language. So, is there no clear 2nd now, with French being among equally important regional languages?
William   Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:54 am GMT
* In politics, business, science, entertainment English is...
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:04 am GMT
There is no second. There are important regional languages, that is all. I beleive this is a good thing too, after all, isn't that the point of an international language?
mac   Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:39 am GMT
<< isn't that the point of an international language? >>

Yes, good point. This is also how I see it too.

English is the only true international language today. The other big languages are important regionally.
Hewlett   Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:57 am GMT
I'm glad that you didn't insist that Spanish is an international language too besides English.

But English and French are the only 2 global languages even though French is behind English because of US.
Nebulo   Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:02 am GMT
Is French even an international language today? I can't think of anywhere where it is widely used.
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:23 pm GMT
That could only mean 1 thing Nebulo, you're totally ignorant.
UN   Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:49 pm GMT
French is now important as German or Italian and less than Spanish.
Xie   Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:56 pm GMT
But there must a price for it. But I must agree that English has taken the role of Esperanto, tho not quite. My English now is enough for all non-natives here, but not quite to read language-teaching literature in English.

It may be now more important to think: just how Esperanto is English? Or has it become newspeak? I vow not to expect people to know English when I want to teach them another FL. At any rate, I think it makes perfect sense to use watered down English only when talking to other non-natives. So, I'm not quite concerned because learning more English (for a person like me now) might only be beneficial when I want to read English literature (any sorts) and talk to natives. There might already be two Englishes, the native (the whole thing of English) and the ESL.

But having said that, I think people still remain as if they think newspeak is good to speak without English. So, having one foreign language (or more) is still better than none. At least, the very existence of ESL lets me know there IS something called an FL. This is good for individual multilingualism because foreign learners can get a useful language (whatever) for many things. This means accumulating capital, not linguistic imperialism (in this sense).
Xie   Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:59 pm GMT
I'm actually quite optimistic. No matter how (my previous posts, for example) people might suggest just how bad it would be to have one such language only, I think people can have more time left for even more languages now. I'd agree even with some Anglophones that the age of unilaterialism and the peak of English have passed.
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:21 pm GMT
<< is there really no clear "2nd" most important world language? >>

Spanish is a lay down misere.
JLK   Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm GMT
<<I'd agree even with some Anglophones that the age of unilaterialism and the peak of English have passed.>>

That is a very small percentage of Anglophones, xie. And I've only encountered them in language forums where filthy linguistic vein seems to predominate over reason and reality. If one looks at the stats, there is an ever rapidly growing amount of English speakers. China has adopted English before we could breathe the word Mandarin. How many Chinese students are taking it now, 300 million, 400 million? India, probably the world's most promising economy and set to become the most populous nation in the near future has none other than English as an official language. The fastest growing nations in the world are practically all in English speaking Africa. Nigeria for example is experiencing remarkable demographic and economic growth. Within the next 7 years, there will be 2 billion English speakers. How can any language compete with that?
ONU   Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm GMT
Spanish is now as important as Hausa, Yoruba, Bambara, Hottentot, Fang, Bubi, Telugu, Assamese, Miao, Wu, and Hiri Motu and much less than French, German, and Italian.
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:38 pm GMT
<< How can any language compete with that? >>

Spanish can. It is already ahead of English in a number of important measures. And besides, who wants to be continuously the victim of the game where they can understand you but you cannot understand them
JLK   Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:49 pm GMT
<<Spanish can. It is already ahead of English in a number of important measures.>>

Perhaps the number of immigrants and drug cartels...?