FĂȘte Nationale/National Holiday

K. T.   Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:56 am GMT
Today is the fourteenth of July, or Quatorze juillet-well, it is where I live. Some people even celebrate it here. What is the greeting in your country for YOUR National holiday? Please write it in your language and how to say it or what it means. Thanks. Also, is it only used by citizens of your country or can anyone wish this to another person?
Skippy   Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:16 am GMT
In the US, as many of you know, it's the Fourth of July which was historically accepted as the date the Declaration of Independence was signed (although it was only a handful of people that signed on that particular day, if any did, the actual signing was probably sometime in August). Although US independence wasn't secured until the Treaty of Paris in 1783, and the current US Constitution wasn't signed until 1789, we celebrate the Fourth of July by cooking hamburgers and hot dogs (as well as ribs, brisket, etc. depending on your region), potato salad, bbq beans, and so on, set off fireworks, and have parades.

I was in Berlin during the Fourth in 2006, but my friends and I (as well as several Germans) celebrated with the aforementioned food.