Norwegians against Swedes??? who's friendlier??

Shrey   Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:18 am GMT
Is it true that the Norwegians are way more outgoing and friendly than the Swedish? Personally, I did meet a few of them and they are very friendly as opposed to the few Swedish people I met, who seemed to be very reserved and formal.

I think this is an important factor because when I travel to Sweden in the future, I want to be able to communicate in Swedish without the Swedish person having to make a transition in English due to my accent. I heard in Norway, there are many who don't speak good english (but most of them do) and they love it when foreigners speak their language. I don't really know how this works in Sweden?

Also I was quite surprised to see a lot of anti-Sweden videos on Youtube regarding their multiracian integration policy (as they aren't really towards it and don't really respect the idea of foreigners integrating into their community). What's you take on that? After watching these videos, I've become so discouraged to learn the language anymore.
Guest   Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:27 am GMT
<<Is it true that the Norwegians are way more outgoing and friendly than the Swedish? >>

Is it true heterosexual Indian men have sex with other men just "to try it out"?
Guest   Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:48 am GMT
I don't like Indians that much. It's too bad other races don't do that. :(
Shrey   Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:04 am GMT
Um....I'm not really sure because I was neither born in India nor am I completely India (I'm of portuguese-iranian descent; dad - portuguese goan and mom, persian goan)......so I'm sorry I can't answer your question. You might wanna ask someone who is actually from India.

I didn't mean to offend anyone by my question. I'm asking it from a very pragmatic point of view so you can either answer it or not.

And p.s. although I'm not completely Indian, I do like them (the ones here in Europe anyways; although some really don't stick to their culture)...and besides the many "pure" indians I've met were really nice and friendly.
Shrey   Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:05 am GMT
*Indian
Guest   Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:19 pm GMT
Norwegians are super-friendly, but unfortunately their hospitality and open-mindedness are being abused as there have accepted way too many immigrants. Oslo has like 25% immigrants, its really quite sad, when i visited there were some areas i didnt feel i was in Norway.
Shrey   Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:44 pm GMT
Hey Guest, I did notice that Norwegians are very friendly. Even here in Prague, I've met quite a lot of them and they're awesome....(really hard-working guys)...Although the Swedes I met were really nice too (but quite professional and reserved)...
Xie   Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:27 am GMT
To put it mildly, this is nonsense. I can see that you understand yourself quite well. Why don't you just try to meet more people? Yeah, I do feel reserved when it comes to meeting foreigners (which I seldom do, really), but I think every country is pretty much the same in this respect.

I think understanding people starts with understanding what they say and getting understood. It may be complicated owing to language barriers, but those barriers are to be broken. So, just now, I'm trying to understand you by saying it to let you understand me, right?
Shrey   Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:17 pm GMT
Hello there Xie, I haven't really said anything negative about the Swedes mind you. I've just stated my past encounters with them and have in addition mentioned the general stereotypes regarding the Swedes.

If you read my entire post, you will realize that I haven't made any blatant statements against the Swedes. I was just getting an opinion as to how useful Swedish would be if I were travelling around Sweden (as most of them do speak impeccable english and from what my Swedish friend says, they will switch to English if they see that the English speaker can't persist in speaking Swedish).