Is Hebrew Relatively Easier Than Arabic For Non-Semitic?

JIAJIA   Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:50 am GMT
To: guest2

Do you think that, Modern Hebrew that Israeli speak and write in daily life is the very same with Classical Hebrew (Biblical Hebrew)? Or, there's some difference exists between them? Thank you very much again!
JIAJIA   Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:04 am GMT
As much as I know, Koine Greek (New Testament Greek) is very different from Modern Greek that nowadays Greeks speak and write.

Classical Hebrew (Old Testament Hebrew) is just like Koine Greek (New Testament Greek), then: Is Modern Hebrew in the same situation as Modern Greek? (I mean that, is Classical Hebrew really much/a little different from Modern style? Thanks!
guest2   Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:43 pm GMT
I'm not sure about the differences between Koine and Modern Greek. I've heard people say that they are not vastly different. Between Classical Greek and Modern Greek--that's a different story.

Biblical Hebrew is generally understandable to Modern Hebrew speakers. (Israelis can read without much problem.) When spoken Hebrew was revived, people like Eliezar ben Yehudah and others looked to Biblical Hebrew as a model, so Modern Hebrew is not just a continuation of the written development (e.g., Mishanic Hebrew, Rabbinic Hebrew) as developed over the centuries.

There are obvious differences in vocabulary, and Modern pronunciation is somewhat simplified, but to me, the differences are more a question of style than of substance. As a person knowledgeable in both forms said to me: If Isaiah were around today, he and an Israeli would be able to make themselves understood to each other.
JIAJIA   Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:05 pm GMT
If I were Protestant, and I could choose only 1 language between Hebrew (Modern Hebrew) and Greek (Modern Greek, Not "Koine Greek"), which one should I choose to learn then? Thank you very much!
Guest   Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:27 pm GMT
"As a person knowledgeable in both forms said to me: If Isaiah were around today, he and an Israeli would be able to make themselves understood to each other."

I wonder how true that is. Modern Hebrew has strong Ashkenazi influences, both in vocabulary and phonology. I guess Isaiah and an Israeli would eventually make themselves understood, but not without some adjustments and slow and careful enunciation on the Israeli's part.
Shem   Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:00 pm GMT
Yes, Hebrew is relatively easier.
JIAJIA   Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:17 am GMT
If somebody learns modern Hebrew well enough, can he understand Biblical Hebrew easily when he reads through <The Old Testament>? Thanks!