William Shakespeare - The Best Ever?

Geoff_One   Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:45 am GMT
In a book on William Shakespeare, I read something along the lines:

William Shakespeare is the best writer in the history of the English language - Ever. Some may waffle and write and then say "one of the best" ... and so it goes on.

Your comments on this please. Do you think that William Shakespeare is the best ever?
Geoff_One   Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:49 am GMT
I have also put this thread on the English (sub) forum.
I shouldn't have put it here in the first place. Sorry about that.
Guest   Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:54 am GMT
No. Every language has the best writer.

Cervantes, Moliere, Goethe, Dante and Dostoevsky are the best in their own language.
Geoff_One   Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:03 am GMT
<< No. Every language has the best writer.

Cervantes, Moliere, Goethe, Dante and Dostoevsky are the best in their own language. >>

From the original context, it is readily implicit that the following sentence only relates to English.

Do you think that William Shakespeare is the best ever?
PARISIEN   Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:35 am GMT
Absolutely the greatest playwright ever, whatever the language.

Dans d'autres catégories littéraires on trouvera des Français, des Allemands et des Russes au premier rang, mais côté dramaturgie et poésie scénique Shakespeare est absolument le plus grand.
Sans discussion.
Guest   Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:45 am GMT
<<Sans discussion.>>

Ok, be a close-minded stubborn ignoramus if you want. Shakespeare's great, but I'm open to the possibility that there could be other people just as good out there just waiting to rear their heads...
Guest   Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm GMT
No, I think Shakespeare is really boring. Scott Adams, author of Dilbert, is much better in my opinion.
guest   Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:47 pm GMT
I would say that William Shakespeare is without a doubt the most celebrated writer in English history...

Whether he's the "Best" is still up for debate
Guest   Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:26 am GMT
I don't think many people who are well read doubt that Shakespeare was the greatest playwright. But I'm sure lots of native speakers of other languages would dispute this.

How about greatest novelist? I've heard Tolstoy and Dostoevsky both referred to in this context before.
Guest   Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:28 am GMT
<<How about greatest novelist?>>

Dan Brown.