Don't be too CNN!

JIAJIA   Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:07 am GMT
http://www.anti-cnn.com/forum/en/index.php

Welcome to speak out your opinion on this English forum! Thanks!
Guest   Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:19 am GMT
I agree that China has a bad human rights record, but I DO NOT AGREE with the way the Western media is trying to sabotage the Olympic Games. As if this is the first time the host country's been questionable in some areas! If it were being held in the United States would we be hearing the same kind of bashing? I doubt it, even though the USA isn't very clean either.
Guest   Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:20 am GMT
JIAJIA, I have a question about the word 休闲. Does it only mean to stop cultivating a field for a time, or can it mean allowing someone to rest in general?

I saw it in a picture on a website showing products with badly translated English. It was on the packaging of a biscuit product which translated it into English as "lie fallow".
Guest   Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:27 am GMT
<JIAJIA, I have a question about the word 休闲. Does it only mean to stop cultivating a field for a time, or can it mean allowing someone to rest in general?>

休闲=be not working and have leisure.

休闲装=casual wear.

Sorry, perhaps there're some Chinglish or incorrect English on this forum.
JIAJIA   Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:36 am GMT
If any Western or Eastern friends want to learn Mandarin Chinese, I can teach them either Traditional or Simplified characters and tell them detailed meanings. My pleasure!
Guest   Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:42 am GMT
谢谢 :)
JIAJIA   Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:43 am GMT
<谢谢>

别客气(You're welcome)
CNN   Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:52 am GMT
you hate me?
Guest   Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:53 am GMT
BTW, when I looked it up I used a Chinese-Japanese dictionary and it said (土地を)遊ばせておく. That means "let (land) be idle". That's why I wondered.
JIAJIA   Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:04 am GMT
休闲:first, it must be during the time that you don't work or you're not busy doing something. probably you're having a rest sitting in sofa and listening to music or watching movies, no matter what you do, that must be something interesting, or your hobbies, or do nothing and just take a rest. It can be either Verb or Adj vocabulary, it's not very easy to explain it in English very precisely, it depends on detailed meanings. Can you understand it?
Guest   Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:11 am GMT
Would you say it means "to chill" then?
Guest   Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:12 am GMT
Yeah. I understand it now. Thanks!
JIAJIA   Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:18 am GMT
No, not to "Chill"

It means "free" when it acts as an "Adj", for example, 休闲时光 can be translated as free time. 休闲装= slack suit. (informal clothes)

It means "play" or "rest" when it acts as a "Verb" , but it is hardly used as a Verb in daily convensation.
JIAJIA   Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:21 am GMT
I suggest you learn Simplified characters, if you want to know much about Mainland China, or travel around China, although I prefer Traditional style.
Guest   Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:24 am GMT
Is it just me or does it seem that Europe is more biased against China than the USA?