What do you think of Michael Phelps' accent?

Stanji   Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:14 pm GMT
do i smell some envy here or what :P

anyhow, I'm surprised people don't know about the stereotypical baltimorese way of speaking, or"Ballimerese" as some natives would pronounce it.
not southern, not northern, quite unique indeed.
Guest   Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:12 am GMT
<<and he's fuckin' ugly too >>
How can you say he is ugly? I seriously dout your competency in judging beauty.
Guest   Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:13 am GMT
I also think he is sort of sexy.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:56 am GMT
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A marvellous swimming ability is what I personally behold in Michael Phelps.
Guest   Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:50 am GMT
Ah, does he turn you on, Damian in Edinburgh?
Guest   Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:38 pm GMT
<<How can you say he is ugly?>>

uhhh because he looks like frickin' Shrek that's why

Duh duh duh duh
duh DUh....
Guest   Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:22 pm GMT
LOL come on people, don't be so godd*amn jealous. He's at least average, if not a bit above average. Just get over it, you will NEVER be as athletic as he is.
Guest   Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:17 pm GMT
I don't think there's anything unusual about the way Phelps speaks. A lot of young American guys speak in that sort of laid-back way nowadays. Especially jock types.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:23 pm GMT
***Ah, does he turn you on, Damian in Edinburgh?***

Americans often use the phrase "Are you serious?" when asked a question which invites an answer of total and complete denial. No, I'd rather date my grandmother. He's probably a very nice guy though.

On the other hand such a question about someone like Jeremy Wolfenden would have elicited a totally different response from me, but sadly he was in circulation well before my time - he was born in Surrey, England, in 1936 and died, tragically at the age of 31, in 1967....in Washington, USA. Not only was he engaged in journalism but he was also involved in some kind of espionage, and that probably took him from London, via Moscow, to Washington.

What I saw of him as portrayed in a film on TV recently he would have made a brilliant companion - extremely witty, extremely intelligent, extremely good looking, extremely well educated (Cambridge graduate) and extremely, extremely hedonistic. He was also well connected - his father later became Lord Wolfenden, who had been instrumental in revising and bringing up to date certain aspects of Britain's social legislation which previously required a complete change from the iniquitous and grossly inhumane, anachronistic laws of the past.

Jeremy had been a journalist, as I am, but I've no idea whether he was a good swimmer or not, but who cares too much about that.
Guest   Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:47 pm GMT
<<Jeremy had been a journalist, as I am, but I've no idea whether he was a good swimmer or not, but who cares too much about that. >>

LOL, you sound, well, like a B*tch when judging men: "a brilliant companion - extremely witty, extremely intelligent, extremely good looking, extremely well educated (Cambridge graduate) and extremely, extremely hedonistic."

--so how tight *is* your v*gina : )?
|||   Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:29 pm GMT
Damian in Edinburgh,

Are you a man or a woman?

Best Regards.
Guest   Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:21 am GMT
He sounds like he has a cold, but I wouldn't bet it was the case. He sounds like a typical guy his age. He is easier for me to understand than some of the posters who post their samples (the native speakers, I mean, okay, just one of them, but...).

Y'all need to get over your jealousy, thank-you very much. Go swimming.
It's a great sport!

I don't think he's handsome, but it's trivial to bring up his looks.
Guest   Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:30 am GMT
<<
LOL, you sound, well, like a B*tch when judging men: "a brilliant companion - extremely witty, extremely intelligent, extremely good looking, extremely well educated (Cambridge graduate) and extremely, extremely hedonistic."

--so how tight *is* your v*gina : )?>>

Damian is a journalist, what do you expect...
Guest   Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:29 am GMT
--so how tight *is* your v*gina : )?>>

Damian is a journalist, what do you expect...

--------------------------------------------
A journalist's v*gina is supposed to be flabby? What kind of logic is that?
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:35 am GMT
There is nothing more I can add to this particular thread apart from this:

"Best of British" (meaning good luck) to Michael Phelps, even though he isn't "my cup of tea", to quote a couple of British expressions. ;-)