What do you think of Michael Phelps' accent?

Guest   Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:57 am GMT
Damian in Edinburgh, who is your cup of tea, little sweet?
Guest   Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:31 am GMT
Okay guys let's give him a break, LOL
Guest   Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:01 am GMT
Guest   Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:21 am GMT
This thread is getting too redneck-ish. If the man is homossexual, so what?
Also my nephew, and some of my best friends are. It isn't something you catch by contact, don't be afraid of getting it.
Skippy   Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:05 pm GMT
Ah, yes, "Are you serious?" a favorite pasttime of Americans...

We use it frequently, and, in my humble opinion, believe it is because we are so prone to exaggerate. "I was so scared I literally jumped out of my skin" "are you serious?" "dead serious."
Uriel   Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:21 am GMT
I gotta agree; he wasn't blessed with looks, only swimming ability. And he doesn't seem to have any particular accent beyond generic American. I think what you are hearing that sounds like an odd "swallowing" of consonants is simply a personal thing that I bet is caused by his mouth structure. I've met other people who talk like this, too, and they weren't from Baltimore, Maryland.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:34 pm GMT
Michael Phelps is now in London and was present at the celebrations in The Mall following the handing over of the Olympic Host City status from Beijing to London today....in preparation for the 2012 Olympics.

He is now probably either enthralling us - the Brits - (a wee bit unlikely) with his accent or "appalling" us - for want of another word which rhymes (a wee bit more likely) with it. Appalling is a bit strong, but there you go......if he stays here long enough (unlikely) he may even pick up some Estuary, but no doubt he will hurry back to America with all those medals clinking together as they hang from his neck, weighing him down in the process as each one is quite heavy apparently.

The Mall - Phelps will have to learn to pronounce that correctly while he's here - it has nothing to do with a shopping complex and does not rhyme with "maul". It rhymes with "pal" - as simple as that - The Mall is that long, broad, treelined thoroughfare that runs from Buckingham Palace all the way along to Admiralty Arch, through which traffic and pedestrians pass to enter Trafalgar Square on the other side of the Arch.

Parallel with The Mall, just to the north beyond Carlton House Terrace and the Duke of York's Steps, is Pall Mall - both parts of which name rhyme with "pal"...another broad street full of exclusive clubs - no, not night clubs - "gentlemen's clubs" and clubs for members of very august societies and organisations and all that kind of thing, full of retired colonels or business executives and all that kind of thing, sitting about in huge leather armchairs reading The Times and sipping whisky or Earl Grey tea after their very posh dinners.

I did say in a previous post that I wouldn't come into this thread again, but I have - I just wanted to say that the Gold Plated Phelps is now among us here in the UK - pro tem - well, down on London anyway watching the handover of the Olympics regalia to London 2012 in The Mall after watching the closing ceremony from Beijing.

Now I'm off to see Edinburgh celebrate - or more accurately, the far more interesting Fringe events I'm booked into.
Wintereis   Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:30 pm GMT
"The Mall - Phelps will have to learn to pronounce that correctly while he's here - it has nothing to do with a shopping complex and does not rhyme with "maul". It rhymes with "pal" - as simple as that - The Mall is that long, broad, treelined thoroughfare that runs from Buckingham Palace all the way along to Admiralty Arch, through which traffic and pedestrians pass to enter Trafalgar Square on the other side of the Arch."

It is strange that you would think that Mr. Phelps would not be familiar with the type of mall you are describing. It is certainly not unique to the British Isles. Indeed, Phelps, being from Baltimore should be familiar with the National Mall in Washington D.C. which is only a stones through from Baltimore proper. It seems that you make your jealousy of Phelps and his fellow American Olympiads plain when you go into such great detail describing "The Mall" in London--illustrating some insecurity regarding your nation and its heritage. But the thing you must remember is that these things are not unfamiliar to us in the U.S. The National Mall runs from the U.S. Capitol building in the East to the Lincoln memorial in the west. Directly behind the capitol building is the Supreme Court, The Folger's Library (which holds one of the largest collections of Shakespeare's works in the world and has a life-sized replica of the Globe theater inside), and the Library of Congress, which, with its 650 miles (850 km) of occupied shelf-space--compared to the British Library's 388 miles (625 km) of occupied shelf-space--eclipses every other Library in the history of humanity.

On the Southern side of the Mall is the living memorial of one James Smithson, a British scientist who, having been made anathema by his fellow countrymen, dedicated the entirety of his fortune to the American people. And I think we have done him great honor in service to his generosity. "The Smithsonian Institution is an educational and research institute. . . its 19 museums, zoo, and 9 research centers have over 142 million items in its collections." These include the Apollo lander which first set down on the moon and the Hope diamond. Also on the mall are the National Galleries, which house one of the finest collections of art in the world. The National Mall is intersected by the Washington Mall, which leads from the White house down to the Jefferson Memorial. Also on the National Mall are the Washington memorial, the Vietnam memorial, and the WWII memorial, among many other things.

Also, I should remind you that this type of mall is related to the large shopping centers, as these malls often served in early days as outdoor markets and gathering places.

http://www.terragalleria.com/images/us-ne/usdc6672.jpeg

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Dennis-Johnson/Fireworks-Over-National-Mall-and-Washington-Monument-Washington-Dc-USA-Photographic-Print-C12079686.jpeg

http://images.forbestraveler.com/media/photos/inspirations/2007/Destinations/Destinations-02-g.jpg

http://hab.hrsa.gov/livinghistory/images/timeline/1987/quilt.jpg

http://www.maxlyons.net/images/web/locrr_small.jpg

You must remember that we are not so far culturally removed from you.
Guest   Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:54 pm GMT
mall /mAl/
Guest   Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:23 am GMT
I guess this guy called Damian in Edinburgh is really hooked to Phelps. Why did you make such a big fuss as if the arrival of Phelps was huge piece of news?
Guest   Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:29 am GMT
Seems Phelps is in his element. Prez Bush's daughter Barbara has fallen in love with the remarkable swimmer.
Uriel   Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:54 am GMT
I believe Damian's point was not that Phelps wouldn't be familiar with what a mall is (either type), but with how it is pronounced in England.
Guest   Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:54 am GMT
Damian must suffer from an insuperiority complex. There are not more stupid Americans than Brits. America has done great things Britain would never even dream of doing like conquering the moon.
Guest   Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:56 am GMT
muor varsuuilhit sih, suilizot lougiu der himil,
mano uallit, prinnit mittilagart
Guest   Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:59 am GMT
-Prez Bush's daughter Barbara has fallen in love with the remarkable swimmer.-

I thought she was gay