Organize or organise?

Rob   Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:33 am GMT
Which spelling do you use?
Guest   Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:56 am GMT
organize
Lazar   Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:28 am GMT
I use "organize".

In American English, "-ize" is the only form used.

In British English, both forms are used, but there's a big preference (maybe 2-to-1 or 3-to-1) for "-ise".
Rick Johnson   Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:40 am GMT
2004 UK survey stated 3:2 in favour of "ise"- or 60% to 40%!
Travis   Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:11 am GMT
Just "organize".
Uriel   Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:30 am GMT
The z-one. But this is a little silly. We all know Americans use the z-version.
Ren   Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:12 am GMT
<The z-one. But this is a little silly. We all know Americans use the z-version.>

And they also perfer to use "zee'' over ''zed'' what a country!!! ;)

I personally use the 'ise' version.
Uriel   Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:07 am GMT
Zed's dead, Ren. Zed's dead. ;)

Not to mention that it's a silly word. And it screws up the song...
Guest   Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:15 am GMT
<Zed's dead, Ren. Zed's dead. ;)

Not to mention that it's a silly word. And it screws up the song... >

You meant the alphabet song? lol nah the Zed works perfectly in it... haven't tried singing with the 'Zee' in it... mmm I'll try now..
lida   Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:28 am GMT
British English: both are used equally according to Longman Dictionary
Uriel   Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:08 am GMT
Canadians use zed. Met one the other day who was trying to clarify his girlfriend's atrocious caveman chicken-scratch handwriting for me, and he let a "zed" slip out.

Ey bee see dee ee eff gee, aitch eye jay kay elemenopee, kyoo ar ess, tee yoo vee, double-yoo ex, why and ... zed.

Nope. Throws off the rhyme.
Damian in A-Z Edinburgh   Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:55 am GMT
In the UK one of the most well known of local street guides of all towns and cities is that produced by the A to Z Map Company Ltd. People just say "look it up in the A to Z" to get directions. ie: A to Zed. Unless of course, for the American tourists, the only ones to call it the A to Zee.

Actually, when you think about it, Zee is more logical. B is Bee, C is Cee and D is Dee, so really Z should be Zee. How a D creeps into Zed God only knows. Another example of (British) English illogicality. As a Brit myself, I admit it.
Damian   Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:58 am GMT
Of course, it's called Zed here to avoid confusion with C (cee). So maybe we're nae sae stupit after all (that's not a typo...just Scottish for stupid).
Lazar   Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:26 am GMT
<<How a D creeps into Zed God only knows. Another example of (British) English illogicality.>>

Actually "zed" derives from the Greek letter name "zeta" (through Middle French "zede").
JJM   Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:32 am GMT
You call it zee, we call it zed,
Let's call the whole thing off.