What's second opinion mean?

Guest   Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:05 am GMT
Thank you.
Estel   Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:04 pm GMT
Well, it is a self-explaned word, or so I've thought. A second opinion is, indeed, a second opinion. :P

For example, you go to a doctor and he says that you need a heart surgery. You are not sure about having one, so you say you need a second opinion. That means that you're gonna find anther doctor and gets his opinion on the matter.

I hope that help!
Uriel   Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:49 pm GMT
A second opinion is an alternate viewpoint, or a corroboration. Meaning you don't quite trust the first opinion you got, and you want to see if others agree with it. Often it is used professionally, as with doctors. Insurances or workman's comp may require you to obtain a second opinion from another doctor before agreeing to pay for a major procedure, for instance, because they want to make sure that it is truly medically recommended in general, and not just a personal preference or a shot in the dark by an individual physician.
John Cowan   Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:06 am GMT
A classic joke about second opinions:

"Well, Doctor, what did the tests show?"

"I'm sorry to tell you that you have inoperable cancer, with no more than three months to live."

"Oh my God! [pause] Well, of course I'll want a second opinion."

"A second opinion? No problem. You're also ugly."
Kevin   Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:08 am GMT
It almost happens with everyone. I myself give a lot of concentration on listening when watching tv. But there is another thing and that is when some native speaker is talking to you directly, he/she is very easy to understand because they are discussing about the matters you are aware of in comparison with talks on tv or radio. Secondly, on tv they use a lot of technical terms e,g if the movie is about aeroplanes or ships, we can't make head or tail of what they say because so many things of ships and airplanes are unknown to us. So, my advice for you is not to get too hung up about listening.
Guest   Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:29 pm GMT
Kevin,
Thanks for the contribution.
ps what on earth are you talking about again?
K. T.   Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:45 pm GMT
Lol. I think I know why "guest" didn't sign.