having a hard for a job interview

Another Guest   Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:49 am GMT
There's a difference between a foreign accent and an exotic accent. People don't like to listen to foreign accents. While you probably will never be able to get an American accent, it is quite possible to not have a /foreign/ accent.
Laura Braun   Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:32 am GMT
however Americans doesn't seems to care about the accent if you have good vocabular and grammar why should they bother if you speak with Spanish accent or Indian accent and no matter what kind of accent you have. if you are talented, have good education, I don't think that someone is going to listen very carefully your accent. But indians have some sort of special indian english which is only indian. It's special which you makes you special. But I said it's not priority your accent the question is how much they are going to pay per hour. that's the first question. I mean that's the first thing which you have to be interested in. Because it DOES matter. Believe me. If someone is going to screw you for 8 - 9 hours per day it does depend what kind of salary you receive.
Laura Braun   Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:37 am GMT
So for all of you which you seek job:
1. Don't put all your hope in one place. There is probably second opportunity.
2. On first interview:
- Wear proper clothes (Jeans and T-shirt are excluded)
- Keep smiling (no matter how much you have to look serious in your eyes)
- Don't forget the eye contact
- Previously know how much you are going to ask for.
- Be very flexible, don't show you weak point.
- Say I can do everything what you want
- Do not worry about your accent - you can win or you can lose, it doesn't matter of your accent. There are other factors.
- Speak clearly as much as you can.
Finally , wish you success.
Laura Braun   Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:47 am GMT
BTW Why did they like him:

Do you remember Sanjaya in American idol? It's an interesting story which I want to share with you. He wasn't so talented. But he had something called charisma. He was smiling by the time Simon told him how much he doesn't like him, he was smiling when Simon told him that he has such bad performance. But he win 3th of 4th place. Because he was in the team of winners. People liked him. The moment when he went on the stage people were looking at his innocent face at his smile. Phenomenal smile which can melt every heart. So it does depends on your charisma, personal aura.
Dia   Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:01 am GMT
hi, i m hired in a multinational company as a contractual empolyee, now in comming month my interview for a parmanent empolyee is expected and I m not good at english please guid me what sould I do how I can impress my directors?
Laura Braun   Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:31 am GMT
Hi Dia you are in hopeless situation in people who like to lie. Your handwriting is a bad imitation of someone who is trying to sounds stupid by the time he is not . Cmmon be more serious.
Laura Braun   Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:52 am GMT
Unless your writing is not the best part of yourself then you don't start write, but as I said spelling is not high priority in American schools then you are OK.
How to guide you? You have to give me much more details and we can work out of it.
First, You worked for this company until now and you have to sign permanent contract. It's more easy then you expected.
First : be more confident. On your interview you have to insist not on your bad english but on your good work. Then you have to say : I'M WORK IN PROGRESS. Don't forget that . We all are work in progress. If they are not satisfied in your english then you have to tell them that you are going to take some course , but don't forget YOU ARE WORK in PROGRESS. You will get to know people by their own deeds. It's said in Bible. So if you were working hard, with positive attitude, good character, didn't get problems with your colleagues I don't see the reason for you not to get permanent contract. GIVE ME MORE DETAILS and I will think how to work for your situation.
Uriel   Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:58 am GMT
Spelling is indeed a high priority in American schools, Laura. It was certainly drilled into me, with weekly tests and spelling bees, when I was a little girl! And we all got points off for misspellings in papers and assignments, all the way from elementary school through college.
Laura Braun   Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:13 am GMT
In fact American educational system is more progressive than any other, if we start to talk about school systems. From first till 6nd grade students don't need to bring their school books at home, neither to study boring facts. When they have to study something they go to Field trip. There is a program which is called No child left behind, which means that everyone has his own gifts and worth in society no matter how smart he is. I do like that. There is no boring homework which you can spend hours wondering how to write your homework. American students read books. They have some programs which encourage them to read. I saw that even students with autistic problem are included in classes as any other students which is the most grateful thing which I have ever seen. They have special teacher which cares for them , but they are not separated from society.
Laura Braun   Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:16 am GMT
Regarding spelling I think that they insist on spelling. If you asked me English spelling is difficult so it took years until someone start to write properly.
Now is proper time to talk about jobs interview. I mean if someone needs advise or some encouragement we can do it.
Humphrey   Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:40 am GMT
I'm a freshman in USTC,in my opinion ,getting a job is a thing ,which is full of challenge and unkown consequence. Prepareing for a interview can make us more mature and experienced ,as we all kown ,experience is vital for our future carrer.So not everyone can make it just one time ,the key to dealing with unsuccessful result is keeping and keeping on .And confidence is very important......
Uriel   Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:43 pm GMT
We do bring our schoolbooks home before sixth grade, and we do have to study boring facts -- field trips are few and far between, and are just considered a fun extra. And I think most teachers will tell you that the No Child Left Behind program is a morass of worthless testing and bureaucracy that doesn't really do what it was advertised to do.
Laura Braun   Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:47 am GMT
<<We do bring our schoolbooks home before sixth grade, and we do have to study boring facts>>, but everyday Uriel, not everyday. If you go to European school between 1th-6th grade you will see the difference. They have to study far lot more facts and details. They have to answer to questions, they have to get to know much more information then in American school. Just regard it as a fact. In American school they study dividing and multiplication between 2nd and 6th grade, in European school they got to know multiplication is 2nd grade and mathematics is much more difficult. Regard it as I've got to know that. I have been experienced both systems. I can tell you I do prefer the American.
Laura Braun   Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:31 am GMT
Listen Uriel, I just don't want to argue on that question. I just don't want. Whatever it is... It's a part of the past.
Back to the topic: