American English in the UK (continued)

Ndub   Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:13 am GMT
Hi ive read the various blog postings on this page and all are far too interesting, particularly because they relate to a class in which I am enrolled in at college. It is a class that focuses on the electoral process, voting, and virtually all aspects of this current election of 2008. I was thinking about writing a reseach paper on how individuals tend to just simply focus on or vote based not on the "major issues" at hand but on the sometimes irrelevant even minuscule areas of race, sex, stance on abortion perhaps, same sex marriages. Meanwhile while the media is focusing in on Palin and her family, Obama and his questionable experience, McCain and his war record. And the all of the sudden, booom, we start talking about the economy because we are a recession almost as bad if not worse than the Great Depression, a major issue. An issue that voters need to focus on put all the political bullshit aside. Im just looking for feedback on my paper idea. Please any feedback would be great.
Guest   Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:21 am GMT
Basically Damien from Edinburgh shit all over us. Fuck off and stay in the UK.
Guest   Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:24 am GMT
though at least in the US you don't get the ethnic cleansing you still get in Europe. Would living in Europe as, say, a Roma, be good for your health? Unless you consider being raped and having your homes burnt to the ground by angry mobs, and then having the EU government applaud it, to be healthy.

Europe, the inventor and still leader of ethnic cleansing and genocide. Europeans hate America because the people Europeans tried to murder all fled here. Damien, you might not have raped and murdered those people, but most Europeans either have, or are descended from them.
Guest   Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:28 am GMT
*note, the only people who bask in the health and wealth of the EU are white, "genetically pure" members of each nation. Talk to a German. Germans do not consider Turks, even 4th generation born-in-Germany Turks, as ever being capable of being "German". Do you think peace is going to last forever with that mindset?

2050. Ethnic riots. Violence. More moments of European genetic cleansing. You guys are in a rare lull.
Uriel   Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:34 am GMT
<<Europe, the inventor and still leader of ethnic cleansing and genocide. Europeans hate America because the people Europeans tried to murder all fled here. Damien, you might not have raped and murdered those people, but most Europeans either have, or are descended from them.>>

Oh, please. Have we already forgotten about all the atrocities inflicted on the Indians? Killing Chinese railroad workers to save the expense of paying them at the end of their contracts? The thousands and thousands of Africans who died en route to a fun new life of hard labor during the Middle Passage? What ARE they teaching in school these days?

No one has a patent on genocide and treating your fellow man shamefully. Every culture and region of the world has seen it since time immemorial. This is not news. If you have a beef with Europe, at least pick something validly unique to them.
Guest   Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:41 am GMT
Isn't this type of discussion what got the first thread locked?
John Cowan   Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:39 am GMT
To get things back on topic, British (mostly English) anti-Americanism was pervasive between the Revolution and 1914 or so; the general view of British travelers in the U.S., at least the ones who wrote about it, was shock and horror about everything American from tobacco-chewing to rhotic accents. Here's one of the more famous English tantrums, published by Sydney Smith in the _Edinburgh Review_ in 1820:

During the thirty or forty years of their independence, they have done absolutely nothing for the Sciences, for the Arts, for Literature, or even for the statesman-like studies of Politics or Political Economy. Confining ourselves to our own country, and to the period that has elapsed since they had an independent existence, we would ask, Where are their Foxes, their Burkes, their Sheridans, their Windhams, their Horners, their Wilberforces?—where their Arkwrights, their Watts, their Davys?—their Robertsons, Blairs, Smiths, Stewarts, Paleys and Malthuses?—their Porsons, Parts, Burneys, or Blomfields?—their Scotts, Campbells, Byrons, Moores, or Crabbes?—their Siddonses, Kembles, Keans, or ONeils—their Wilkies, Laurences, Chantrys?—or their parallels to the hundred other names that have spread themselves over the world from our little island in the course of' the last thirty years, and blest or delighted mankind by their works, inventions, or examples?

In so far as we know, there is no such parallel to be produced from the whole annals of this self-adulating race. In the four quarters of the globe, who reads an American book? or goes to an American play? or looks at an American picture or statue? What does the world yet owe to American physicians or surgeons? What new substances have their chemists discovered? or what old ones have they analyzed? What new constellations have been discovered by the telescopes of Americans?—what have they done in the mathematics? Who drinks out of American glasses? or eats from American plates? or wears American coats or gowns? or sleeps in American blankets ?—Finally, under which of the old tyrannical governments of Europe is every sixth man a slave, whom his fellow creatures may buy and sell and torture?
Uriel   Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:54 am GMT
Ah yes, I remember that quote from school:

"In the four quarters of the globe, who reads an American book? or goes to an American play? or looks at an American picture or statue?"

As well as the sneering attitude of the quote below (from American Hostory class, I think):

(taken from the Online Etymology Dictionary)

<<BELITTLE

1781, "to make small," from little, first recorded in writings of Thomas Jefferson (and probably coined by him), who was execrated for it in England.

"Belittle! What an expression! It may be an elegant one in Virginia, and even perfectly intelligible; but for our part, all we can do is to guess at its meaning. For shame, Mr. Jefferson!" ["European Magazine and London Review," 1787, reporting on "Notes on the State of Virginia"; to guess was considered another barbarous Yankeeism.]>>

I think that word critic inadvertently illustrated the word's meaning perfectly...
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:11 am GMT
***Basically Damien from Edinburgh shit all over us. Fuck off and stay in the UK***

***Damien, you might not have raped and murdered those people***

Who's this Damien guy when he's set loose? If you are referring to the one with an A then I reckon it's me.

I have absolutely no recollection of ever doing the disgusting thing you accuse me of here. I know I enjoy a few pints with my mates down the pub especially at weekends but I know my limits and have never suffered any blackouts, am always compos mentis and I know for sure I have never in my life defecated anywhere but in private and in the proper place.

At least it's good of you to grant me absolute innocence in respect of random mass rape and genocide. I'm pretty damn sure I've never done all that either.

As for effing off - I have no intention of effing off anywhere, and I have every intention of staying in the UK but please allow me the right to eff off on holiday or on-the-job business outside the confines of these islands whenever the occasion arises.
Guest   Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:04 pm GMT
"I know I enjoy a few pints with my mates down the pub especially at weekends but I know my limits and have never suffered any blackouts, am always compos mentis and I know for sure I have never in my life defecated anywhere but in private and in the proper place. "

Come on, now. That would totally go against your heritage.
One Language   Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:59 am GMT
Calling it english is ludicrous - you speak American english - the spelling is bastardised and by the mere fact that you have a greater GNP than other nations you are corrumpting our youth - the spell colour as color, honour as honor, say Noo, Tooba, Toona, Fries instead of chips, etc. To add abuse to abuse news (oops i mean Noooooos) readers use american pronunciations.

I could go on but go find another nation to roger silly - your economics are destroying us and your education and business "CON sultants" have ripped us of so far.

Noo for New
Beef Steak for steak
Toona Fish as opposed to Tina Por or Tuna Lamb
Gas for petrol
Emoo for Emu
Pooma for Puma
Jasper   Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:23 pm GMT
↑ Ahem, OneLanguage...

The spelling reform in the US was originated by Englishmen in the late 1800s, including Benjamin Pitman (Isaac's brother) and George Bernard Shaw. While many of the more obscure changes didn't "stick", some of them did, including the aforementioned "color", and so on.

Moreover, spelling in the UK itself has evolved over the years. I marvelled at this when I was reading original versions of Agatha Christie novels; original spellings included such errata as "kinema", "reënter", "to-morrow", etc.

So don't blame just us.