Is British English held in prestige in US?

Uriel   Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am GMT
Yes, no one does deliciously eeeee-ville quite like the English! They get a little hurt about it, sometimes, but hey, everyone needs a talent, and that's a fun little niche!
Guest   Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:04 am GMT
Basically only RP is held in prestige in the US, otherwise it's all lumped together in the unintelligible bluhglhughuhglghug pile. "You from England?" "No, South Africa." Of course -any- accent is exotic and thus prized above native accents.

Anyway, probably about 30% of American entertainment is now British or British-esque, so as people get more accustomed to the British accent, it'll lose it's power on these shores. I even read in an advertising trade magazine recently that the British accent was once prized as giving authority or class to products; but now since it's been so overused, it either no longer has any effect, or people are just bored of hearing it.

And, of course, more and more Brits have been moving here (the US East Coast, at least), so that ups the exposure, too. Probably wouldn't bet on the English accent having any kind-of prestige down into the future.
Guest   Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:06 am GMT
(though it will probably always be stereotyped as being a voice of Power, considering you know, that whole colony thing)
Julie   Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:18 am GMT
Alright, I'm American, and I can distinguish different types of English accents. Actually, I know more about English accents than I do American ones. For instance, I can do a very swell scouse imitation. And whenever I do people always tell me I have a lousy British accent. It's a tad pointless to correct them, because no matter how many times I do, they continue to imitate the posh accent, as you put it. (Another word not commonly used here; you say something is posh, and people automatically think of the Spice Girls. Although why anyone would want to think of them in the first place I have no. [idea] Hmn. Just realized I never finish that sentence.)
Sorry, 'bout that, bit off topic. Eh, just wanted to let you know not all Americans are completely pathetic.
Guest   Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:22 am GMT
yes POSH = spice girl in the US
posh accent = backham's wife accent ;)
Guest   Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:43 am GMT
who is backham?
Guest   Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:42 pm GMT
football bloke
Rene   Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:50 pm GMT
If it's a basic rundown on how Americans perceive the different accents of Britain I'll give you my perceptions. I'm a Californian girl btw. Here goes-

Cute- Irish, and Edinburgh type Scottish

Sexy- Northern English save Geordie, and Glasgow type Scottish

Strange- Geordie and Scouse

Smart and intimadating- RP and very light Estualy

Cockney can fit in the sexy or strange catagory depending on the speaker.

Sorry if I forgot anything.
Adam   Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:49 pm GMT
Most Americans speak "Britishims" without realising it.

Nearl evey American says "all that glitters isn't gold", "the be all and end all", "break the ice", "clothes make the man", "elbowroom", "fait play", "hotblooded", "foregone conclusion", "leapfrog", "method in the madness", "in my mind's eye", "one fell swoop", "pitched battle", "towering passion", "wear one's heart on one's sleeve", "too much of a good thing", "the milk of human kingness", "lacklustre".

Only one man, not several, coined all these phrases. His name? William Shakespeare.

So most Americans probably utter a Britishism every single day and, when you realise that there are many other every sayings coined by Shakespeare and other British people, there are probably more Britishisms in America than there are Americanisms in Britain.
Adam   Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:55 pm GMT
"Yes, no one does deliciously eeeee-ville quite like the English! They get a little hurt about it, sometimes, but hey, everyone needs a talent, and that's a fun little niche!"

And no-one plays fat, ignorant, loud, brash people better than Americans.
AJC   Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:02 pm GMT
Lighten up, eh?