The “preterite perfect” (PrP)?

MollyB   Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:26 am GMT
Have you witnessed examples of the present perfect being collocated with definite past-time temporal adverbials in your variant of English? If so, do you think that use suggests major changes are on the way regarding the way the present perfect will be used in the future?

e.g.

He's done that last year.

Background to the question:

http://www.ling.canterbury.ac.nz/documents/RCoxthesis.pdf

(See Absract.)
Guest   Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:29 pm GMT
What "major changes" do you speak of?
MollyB   Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:19 pm GMT
<What "major changes" do you speak of? >

One would be "the present perfect being collocated with definite past-time temporal adverbials ", as above.

Two, a feeling that American English and British English may be moving away from using the present perfect much less and moving toward the preterite more.
Mark   Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:34 am GMT
I would like you to correct me if I'm mistaken once again. But accoriding to Longman dictionary of Contemporary English, Cambridge Learner's dictionary and Oxford Student's Dictionary it is good AT something. In Oxford Practical English Usage published by Oxford it is given a clear explanation of using the right preposition with good.
JohnnyC   Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:12 pm GMT
Here's the main problem with this construction: It sounds stupid. I've never hear anyone use this construction. Of course I don't live in NZ. Maybe it's more prevalent there. I would be in favor of legislating strict prohibitions against such conjugations.
Guest   Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:28 am GMT
<<I would be in favor of legislating strict prohibitions against such conjugations. >>

What's your variety/varaint of English JohnnyC?
MollyB   Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:33 am GMT
<<<I would be in favor of legislating strict prohibitions against such conjugations. >> >

<Of course I don't live in NZ.>

And how would you justify legislating the usage of another country, JohnnyC? How would you, a non-Kiwi, impose such controls?