Mike Huckabee's accent

Guest   Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:18 pm GMT
What do you all think about Mike Huckabee's accent?
1   Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:20 pm GMT
Brennus, what is an Eastern Establishment accent? I have never heard this term used in regards to accents or dialects.

Mike Huckabee does not use a strong Arkansas or Southern Midland dialect, but there are Southern Midland features present, which would make his dialect standout elsewhere in the country.

He has the LOT-CLOTH split, and lacks the LOT-THOUGHT merger. His vowel in THOUGHT-CLOTH can vary, but it sometimes echoes the typical variant from the Southern dialect region. He often drops the H in the word "humble", which is a feature associated with many areas of the South. He lacks the CARD-CORD merger, but it is difficult to tell whether or not he has the PIN-PEN merger.

I believe Al Gore often uses a stronger Southern dialect compared to Mike Huckabee. Gore has the PEN-PIN merger, and other features associated with the Southern Midland dialect region.
Duane   Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:11 pm GMT
I grew up in a rural area of Utah where the O and A sounds were often swapped. It was said we were the only place that had horpsecards.
Lazar   Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:04 pm GMT
1: I think Huckabee does have the pen-pin merger. I've gotten the impression that this is one of the most resilient Southern features - i.e., people will often adopt a basically GA accent but still retain the merger.
Clark   Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:14 am GMT
I would say Eastern mixed with some Southern characteristics.
1   Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:22 am GMT
Lazar, I have noticed this as well. I have also noticed that many Southerners with adopted General American accents seem to retain the FILL-FEEL merger. I have also heard of others who retain their FELL-FAIL merger.

I do not hear very many Southern dialects on a daily basis, but the one feature I notice immediately is how many speakers of Southern and Southern-influenced dialects stress the first syllable (as opposed to the second syllable) in words such as insurance, cement, guitar, umbrella, Detroit, and require.