the use of: "salted/salty

Guest   Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:02 am GMT
Hello,
Would anyone please explain whether the following sentence is a grammatically correct sentence?

I know that the word 'get' has so many meanings. Can I use get in this context?

From Enterprise (Express Publishing) workbook:

The .......... chips made me quite thirsty. salted / salty

Searching on the Internet I've found similar sentences both with "salted" and "salty".

e.g.
"What if you eat salted chips which increase the salt concentration in your body? You will find you are feeling very thirsty and need to drink a lot of water"
"The theory being that salty foods make kids thirsty,...."

I know that the words "salted' and "salty" have different meanings but as there is no context in this exercise the question is only about grammar. Are both sentences grammatically correct?

Please do reply to teacherpol@yahoo.co.uk
I will eagerly waiting for your reply

Teacherpol
Guest   Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:41 am GMT
Salted means that salt was put *on* something.
"To salt" is a verb which means to strew salt.

Salty is an adjective describing the way something tastes.
Guest   Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:31 pm GMT
But Chef's chocolate salty balls must have been salted in the first place!
Guest   Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:25 pm GMT
Salty sticks,
salted beef

;)
Another Guest   Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:12 am GMT
It's not the subject of your query (and I'm not sure what it's doing here), but I think that I should mention that "has so many meanings", as used here, is rather informal.

Incorrect: "Get" has so many meanings.
Correct: "Get" has so many meanings that it can be difficult to know which one is meant.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:36 am GMT
You'd be very hard pressed to find a packet labelled "Salty Peanuts" in your local pub, for example......."salted" sounds much more acceptable for a start, as it does not quite portray a mental image of it being a hazard to health as does "salty". However, in reality, both equally do just that all said and dones but there you go, however yummy and definitely
"moreish" they are.