Do you pronounce bond and bound the same? Thank you.

Francis   Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:01 pm GMT
Do you pronounce bond and bound the same or differently?
Please explain it to me in details. Really appreaciated.
Travis   Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:55 pm GMT
I pronounce them differently, as "bond" [ˈb̥ãːnd̥] and "bound" [ˈb̥ɑ̃ɔ̯̃nd̥]/[ˈb̥ɑ̃ɒ̯̃nd̥]/[ˈb̥ɑ̃ːnd̥] (I don't use [ˈb̥ɑ̃ːnd̥] that much myself, but there are people here who have such pronunciations far more commonly than I do). The two never merge, even though some not from the area may confuse [ˈb̥ãːnd̥] with [ˈb̥ɑ̃ːnd̥].
upstater   Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:19 am GMT
No. "bond" rhymes with "pond", "gone + d", etc., and "bound" rhymes with "round", "pound", etc.
Uriel   Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:22 am GMT
Two very different vowels.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:12 am GMT
No - not at all - both are voiced quite differently from each other in our local accent - in "bond" it's a straight vowel - a longer vowel "o" than in standard English English RP for us.

In "bound" it is more of a diphthong sound - in fact "sound" rhymes with it exactly, but here again our local variety here is noticeably different from standard EERP, but that's just an example of the joy of the hotchpotch of Britain's regional/localised accents and dialects.

You're welcome. <------ Actually we don't use that expression as much over here as they appear to do in the USA - I suppose it falls into the same category as "Have a nice day". Both are quite agreeable as long as they are voiced with conviction.
Uriel   Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:03 am GMT
Really? You always find a way to surprise me, Damian! How on earth do you reply to "thank you", if NOT with "You're welcome"? Here, that's not considered anything but the standard rote response, and we have it pounded into us from childhood.... as did our parents, and their parents before them, and so on. "Have a nice day" popped up one day and was regarded as an innovation and affectation for some time before lapsing into nothing more than a polite pleasantry -- I still remember little pins and bumper stickers that said "Don't tell me what kind of day to have" back in the '80's, which I guess is where the rest of the world is at now (we got over it already) -- but "you're welcome" isn't any kind of innovation at all -- it's been around forever. "Uh-huh" is the reply we've all had smacked out of us as kids (but sometimes go back to as adults) -- and I seem to recall reading a post somewhere from a Canadian bitching about rude Americans who use that instead of "You're welcome", so the latter phrase can't be confined to the US.
Guest   Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:36 am GMT
you're wallcome ;)