me and my father or my father and I ?

Damian ...I in Edinburgh   Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:51 pm GMT
Me should have said "me likes donuts too!" Me too thinks that "methinks" actually is a word....in fact, me knows it is a legit word as me just confirmed it in me dictionary although me had a shrewd suspicion it was anyway.....me really, truly is silly.

k = kool (actually cool) in textspeak

I can't believe I just wrote this crap...... :-(
Great Scott   Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:15 pm GMT
u is very kewl :)
nasir   Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:03 pm GMT
i m Bcom graduate with gujrati medium so i m know some english but i want to need for and another persion told with me in a english so please
showme a good pronounsation (sound) to talkwithme in a simple english and i humble request for u please send me a good talking cd with sound or
pronaunsation
and how i learn the english easily and fast giveme trick or idia

I M COMPUTER HARDWARE & NETWARE ENGINEER

MY E-MAIL ADDERESS
luckynasir24@yahoo.com thanks

your faithfully
nasir
Eve   Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:34 am GMT
Use "my father and I" in the nominative case (the subject, which in an English declarative sentence comes before the verb).

Use "my father and me" in the objective case (direct object, indirect object, and object of the preposition).

Examples:

---My father and I are planning a trip to New York.

---My professor wanted to talk to my father and me.

To test this out, delete the words "my father":

Correct: I am planning a trip to New York.

Wrong: Me is planning a trip to New York.

But

Correct: My professor wanted to talk to me.

Wrong: My professor wanted to talk to I.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
An English instructor with a Ph. D. in rhetoric/composition
Kendra   Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:22 am GMT
Some British people say ''Us like them'' for ''We like them''
There is a tendency of replacing subject pronouns with object pronouns in (colloquial) English (unlike (colloquial) Brazilian Portuguese, where the opposite occures - subject pronouns are used where object pronouns used to be used)...

It is I. (formal)
It's me. (informal)

This is she (formal and informal)
This is her (informal)

My mother and I went (formal and informal)
Me and my mother went (informal)

We like you (formal and informal)
Us like you (regional informal)

[
missing with clitis is normal in Italian
where colloquial pronouns like LEI and LUI (that once
were used only for stressed objects) are now subjects (instead of EGLI, ELLA)...the same is true in Brazilian Portuguese...Clitics O/A are almost never used in speech, plain pronouns ELE/ELA are used:
''Eu amo ele '' (I love him [lit. I love he]); ''Mataram ela'' (She was killed [lit] They killed she'']

I call it a language change
Eve   Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:46 am GMT
Kendra, thanks for the update. These colloquialisms, needless to say, haven't made the Little, Brown Handbook.
12FRH   Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:56 am GMT
"Use 'my father and I' in the nominative case"

Use "my father and I" simply because "Standard English" demands it and you'll avoid social put-downs.

"Me and my father" has been commonly used for centuries but, like "ain't" it's a Rodney Dangerfield construction (it "don't get no respect").

"To test this out, delete the words 'my father'"

This is an absurd exercise. That's because English speakers who say:

"me and my father went to New York"

don't say

"me went to New York"

Obviously, their particular usage of "me" in the subjective follows a specific grammatical pattern even if it is not one blessed by "Standard English."
12FRE   Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:04 pm GMT
"Some British people say ''Us like them' for 'We like them'''

Other than from small children, I have never in my life encountered this construction. Where have you heard it?
Damian ...I in Edinburgh   Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:55 pm GMT
Me hates the thread.
Liz   Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:15 pm GMT
Methinks me hates it too. :-(
Kelly   Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:01 am GMT
''Other than from small children, I have never in my life encountered this construction. Where have you heard it? ''

northern ireland

many people on ukmix.org forums use these constructions British people officially ban