What accent does Madonna have?

Guest   Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:55 pm GMT
Does the pop star, US-born but living in UK, speak English with a mixture of British and American accents?
Guest   Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:04 pm GMT
She sounds Californian. She has /A/ in ''all, awesome, lost, song''...
Californian is the easiest accent for an Englishwoman to pick (think Kate Winslett)
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:33 pm GMT
Apparently Madonna still sounds American to British ears, but British to American ears. She's been living in England for quite some time now, with a multi million quid house in London and a stately home in the countryside of the Wilthshire/Dorset border, but in view of today's news it's anyone's guess how long she stays over here - not long, we hope, or at least her rustic neighbours hope. Personally I couldn't give a toss what she does or where she goes.

It's generally thought over here that she deliberately cultivated some kind of acquired English English accent once she hooked her English bloke and moved into this mansion in the countrysdie where she fancied herself as some kind of high and mighty Lady of the Manor much to the irritation and annoyance of the local villagers once she took it upon herself to attempt (unsuccessfully as it turned out) to over turn centuries old bye laws which had permitted access to her newly acquired property - she no longer wanted the locals walking their dogs or riding their horses or shooting pheasants on her land even though they had been doing that since the year dot...or at least the property was built in the first place.

What her neighbours in her exclusive London neighbourhood think of her or her accent I really don't know - and I care even less.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:36 pm GMT
***or at least .^ .the property was built in the first place*** - I missed out "since".
Pub Lunch   Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:43 pm GMT
Damien - she may have lived in England for a while now mate but really - how many English folk has she been around?? Mate, she doesn't mingle with the masses and surrounds herself with... whoever. To these lugs at-least - she hasn't picked up much of an accent at all - she sounds like a yank to me geezer. And with the American media so all encompassing here is it so surprising??

Also, the yank accent is hard to shift ( a bit like your Scottish brogue laddie) whereas my south English tones would be soon replaced - as I found after a year in Oz. Arrrggggghhhhh!!!!!
Uriel   Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:17 am GMT
<<once she took it upon herself to attempt (unsuccessfully as it turned out) to over turn centuries old bye laws which had permitted access to her newly acquired property - she no longer wanted the locals walking their dogs or riding their horses or shooting pheasants on her land even though they had been doing that since the year dot...or at least the property was built in the first place. >>

Must be an English thing, because as a fellow American, I can hardly blame her -- private property is sacred in the US, and it's not unheard of for property owners to enforce "no trespassing" at gunpoint. There's no traipsing across somebody's back yard or even back forty without permission where we come from ... at least, not legally. Call it culture clash on her part....
Carol   Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:41 pm GMT
I live in Michigan. On our local newscast, they reported that in the middle of the night, a group of teenagers were toilet-papering a house, and the owner woke up, grabbed his gun and shot at them. Fortunately it was a shotgun, so the kid that he hit wasn't severely injured.

They will not be charging the owner.

BTW, this is the second time I have seen "the year dot." Can someone please enlighten me as to what this means?

Thanks
Jake   Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:25 am GMT
<<BTW, this is the second time I have seen "the year dot." Can someone please enlighten me as to what this means?>>

"The year dot" - a very long time ago; back before anyone can remember. An idiom that is almost unheard of in the US.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:16 am GMT
Exactly - the year dot....or sometimes year zero....a very long time ago......or "yonks", which is a Britword used singly to mean the same thing. I haven't a clue about the origin of "yonks" but the other terms are self explanatory really.

What the American Madonna came up against in England was something that has its origins in the Magna Carta, the official charter set out in 1215 and granted by England's King John on the banks of the River Thames at Runnymede, now in Surrey, recognising the full rights and privileges (and reponsibilties) of all citizens of England (as it was then), be it the barons, the established RC Church and all "freemen" - meaning the citizenry.

Out of this arose something called the Rights of Way Acts, passed into law by Parliamentary decree in which all landowners were obliged to open up certain sections of their land, clearly delineated by recognised boundaries, to allow free and open access to the general public - such as pathways and footways across their land - whether across meadowland, fields or woodlands, or whatever. This meant that members of the public can use it for such things as walking dogs, riding horses along bridleways, or simply for exercise, leisure or just to get from point A to point B....or shooting pheasants or partridges or, here in Scotland especially, grouse - in accordance with all licensing regulations

This has been going on for yonks...since the year dot...the "year dot" in this case being 1215.

We have something similar here in Scotland, operative since we joined the Union in 1707.

Even The Queen isn't immune - all the Royal estates have areas which are freely open and accessible to the public, from Windsor Great Park and Sandringham to Balmoral, up here in Scotland, where she spends much of each summer season.

The British countryside is generally open to everyone and is very much more accessible to the public than the American countryside is by all accounts, and the matter of "enforcing no tresspassing at gunpoint" is abso-balla-lutely not on here in the UK! No way would that happen here under normal, civilsed circumstances!

The British countryside is so spectacularly beautiful that it would be a major crime to deny people the joy of appreciating it to the full, which is why Lord and Lady Muck are obliged to adhere to the Rights of Way Acts so long as the public also adhere to the conditions and boundaries involved in each instance.
Guest   Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:42 am GMT
What an arrogant bitch. She doesn't have any respect.
sky2007   Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:13 am GMT
Gucci shoes only $99 http://uspshoes.com

Women shoes Highheel only $89 http://uspshoes.com/womenshoes.htm

LV shoes: http://uspshoes.com/lv1.htm

Gucci sneakers http://uspshoes.com/sneaker.htm

Nike shoes only $69 http://uspshoes.com/nike.htm

Lacoste shoes only $99 http://uspshoes.com/lacoste.htm

180 styles,can't imagine!

Only $99,can't cheaper!

1 day left,can't wait!

Just 1 click.
Post by sky20072007