Why do all Indians have accents?

796-5490   Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:52 am GMT
Why is it that there is not an Indian on earth who does not have an heinously strong accent, even when they are born and bred in English speaking countries? Ok, maybe a few, but in comparison with other ethnic groups they are so so much more likely to speak with a heavy accent, Why is this?
MollyB   Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:21 am GMT
<Why is it that there is not an Indian on earth who does not have an heinously strong accent, even when they are born and bred in English speaking countries? >

You could ask the same question about Scottish people? You could ask, but it would be just as ridiculous a question as yours above.

You've watched BBC News, have you?
Tedi   Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:29 am GMT
What an uniformed question!
Opine   Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:31 am GMT
Indians of whatever background always have a strong attachment to their culture and usually speak their native languages at home wherever they go.
796-5490   Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:12 am GMT
It may be uninformed but it is based on real life experience, and if I WERE 'informed' then I wouldn't be querying would I now because I'd be an expert. I live in an English speaking country heavily populated by immigrants from all countries of the world. I have met quite a few Chinese who speak English without an accent , and Filipinos and Russians and Japanese and Koreans and Turks but I have NEVER heard of an Indian one who did, and Indians are more populous than any of them!
KC   Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:27 am GMT
This is a idiotic question. Any person, of whatever nationality, when born and brought up in a English speaking country, will speak with the accent of that place. There's absolutely no doubt about this.
As someone asked before try watching BBC (and CNN too). Plenty of Indian presenters on there. Anjali Rao on CNN (I think) speaks with a posh British accent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbEQDEhrwsc
Tedi   Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:48 am GMT
<I have NEVER heard of an Indian one who did, and Indians are more populous than any of them! >

Then you should have talked about your town and limited experience in the first post. Just because you've met a few Indians who have heavy accents doesn't mean there is "not and Indian on earth who does not have an heinously strong accent".

Your thread post smacks of racism or ignorance.
Tedi   Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:13 pm GMT
Correction "and" for "an".

** Just because you've met a few Indians who have heavy accents doesn't mean there is "not an Indian on earth who does not have an heinously strong accent". **
Milton   Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:06 pm GMT
India holds the highest number of Miss World winners only to be tied with Venezuela.

Miss World 1994 winner, Aishwarya Rai, was voted the most beautiful Miss World ever, in 2000.

Aishwarya's accent is very sexy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKda79DSQH0
Trawicks   Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:41 pm GMT
<<Why is it that there is not an Indian on earth who does not have an heinously strong accent, even when they are born and bred in English speaking countries?>>

That's beyond idiotic. Here in the states, I know numerous Indian people born in this country, and not one of them has even the faintest HINT of a foreign accent.
Rhoi (Sp3ctre18)   Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:50 pm GMT
QUIT YOUR NEGATIVITY PEOPLE!!!

Gosh, settle down, take a chill pill, grow up by a few years, or 10, or more.

"on earth" may have been too mcuh of a generalization, but the rest of his posts do not sound racist or anything.

Made up racism is almost worse than real, I think. It's like a revser racism; some person says one little thing and you try to pick at and peek in between the lines and try SO HARD to figure out a way how it may sound racist so you can blow and get all emo and whine about it.

He may be racist as far as we know, but i am not seeing any evidence of that, so quit it. Really, being as insulting as some of have been, was that really necessary?? I thought we were adults here...

despite that, I think the question has been replied to. Building on what KC said, I think a lot of Indians hold to their culture and language, so even someoen born in an english speaking country, will have the accent because the parents have it, and he probably learned the language as well.

However, KC is wrong is saying that "Any person, of whatever nationality, when born and brought up in a English speaking country, will speak with the accent of that place. There's absolutely no doubt about this." Quite funny, considering the strong words. This is wrong. I personaly know LOTS of people whose parents were immigrats and yet they weren't taught their parents' native language, (sad, I think). I also know some pakistanis, who do speak Urdu and some other accents, yet their english is totally an American accent.

796, just be careful with the words you choose sometimes, especialyl beuase of how crazy people can get over little things.
KC   Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:40 am GMT
Hi Rhoi, I think you misunderstood me. What I meant was that if an Indian person is born and brought up in UK, he will definitely speak English with a British accent. If he is brought up in US, with an American accent and if in Jamaica, with a Jamaican accent (which I absolutely adore btw). I wasnt talking about their native accents/languages.
And yes, you could say there might have been some harsh words said in this topic, but you must understand, the original question sounded quite absurd, to be frank.
769-5490   Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:00 am GMT
Except you are wrong KC. It is not at all 'definite' for I have met many who were brought up in the US and speak with a heavy lilting Hindi accent. 'Definite' means an absolute certainty, without exception. But why then are there numerous counterexamples? Thus, it is not definite.
KC   Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:54 am GMT
I still think its very very very unlikely if someone lives his ENTIRE life in America, attends school with other local Americans, grows up and still has any trace of his Indian accent left. I cant really "prove" to you that this is the case, but until you give me any proof to the contrary, I would find your statement hard to believe.
Duane   Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:21 am GMT
Living in america the word "Indian" refers to a different group of people ie 'Native Americans".
In reference to the leading question, I heard this:
" Indians always walk single file! I know this to be true because the one I saw did!"