Irish language

Caspian   Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:32 pm GMT
Dia duit, a tú. Are there any native speakers of Irish here?

I don't undersnand this phrase:

Nár chuir sésa seomra eile an páiste nárbháil lena mháthair dul abhaile?

Go raibh mile maith agaibh :)
Skippy   Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:24 am GMT
I don't think anyone in this forum is native... But there's bound to be a few that can say a few things. Conas tann tu? and such :-)
guest2   Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:12 pm GMT
Caspian, check out www.spinnoff.com/zbb or www.conlanger.com. You maybe will find some native speakers there.
Sanderson   Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:56 am GMT
Yes. Some post here from time to time.
Herman   Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:47 am GMT
What % speak it in Irelander.
JPT   Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:28 am GMT
I read that about 300,000 people speak Irish natively; about half the country has "some knowledge" and the number will grow as they are forced to study it.

by contrast 200,000 people in Ireland speak Polish as a first language...
eastlander   Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:47 pm GMT
I don't really know,but maybe it is Irish language?
"Chan fhaodar na còirichean agus na saorsaidhean sin a bhith air an cleachdadh air dhòigh sam bith ma tha iad a' ruith calg-dhìreach an aghaidh thograidhean agus phrionnsabalan nan Dùthchannan Aonaichte".
K. T.   Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:44 am GMT
Scottish Gaelic? Sadly, I cannot say for sure. You could ask at Omniglot, or maybe Damian (English forum) knows.
Caspian   Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:21 pm GMT
It's all in Irish - I just wonder what it means!
K. T.   Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:36 pm GMT
Copy the words and see what comes up on Google.
Sean   Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:12 am GMT
Is it about 5% of the populetion speaks Irish?
Marconatrix   Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:56 am GMT
"Nár chuir sé sa seomra eile an páiste nár bháil lena mháthair dul abhaile?"

This had me foxed until I realised you'd run the 'sé' and the 'sa' into one word. It translated :

"Didn't he put in the other room the child who was not going home with his mother?"

It looks like the sort of sentence only a linguist would invent? Where did you find it? Oh, and yes, that's Irish.

"Chan fhaodar na còirichean agus na saorsaidhean sin a bhith air an cleachdadh air dhòigh sam bith ma tha iad a' ruith calg-dhìreach an aghaidh thograidhean agus phrionnsabalan nan Dùthchannan Aonaichte".

Scots Gaidhlig, it means something like :

"Those guilty people (?) and liberals (?) should not be using them in any way if they are running directly against (?) the desires and principles of the United States"

Sorry, unfamiliar vocabulary and no context to go on. Where did that come from??

Nollaig Chridheil !