Does Barack Obama speak pleasantly?

Jasper   Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:49 pm GMT
↑ Choose, the comment about Sarah Palin being "nice and quintessentially American" presupposes that to be a real American, one has to be a white Republican.
Skippy   Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:29 pm GMT
Obama talks in a start-stop sort of way... At least to me... "My name... Is Barack Obama... And I'm running... For President... of the United States..." so fast speech with a lot of pauses.

He speaks fine, not AAVE, but I've never heard him in person one on one so who knows? :-)
Another Guest   Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:37 pm GMT
So "x is y" is logically equivalent to "all y are x"?
sourpuss   Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:55 pm GMT
<<PS Walmart has lives on sale. U might wanna drop by. >>

It's amazing how political theads start heading downhill.
Travis   Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:57 pm GMT
>>Obama talks in a start-stop sort of way... At least to me... "My name... Is Barack Obama... And I'm running... For President... of the United States..." so fast speech with a lot of pauses.<<

The reason why he speaks like that is that he does not always have his speeches written up for him ahead of time, so often actually has to think about what he is going to say while he says it rather than merely reciting a speech straight from memory.
Kirk   Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:12 am GMT
Claria   Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:04 am GMT
No offense, but I really feel Obama speaks as if there was a stone in his mouth
As for Palin, she definitely has a sweet and cheerful voice
jo   Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:18 am GMT
It's not the number of times you say 'um' that determines whether you are articulate, but it is the content of what you say and how well you present it.
Jasper   Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:45 am GMT
"As for Palin, she definitely has a sweet and cheerful voice"

She sounds like she's got a mouthful of chewing gum to me. She's a likable person, though.
choose   Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:29 am GMT
>>It's not the number of times you say 'um' that determines whether you are articulate

Yes, it is. Again:

"How to be articulate:

2.Eliminate verbal pauses. Words such as um, a, like, etc... degrade and detract from what you say. They disturb the flow of a sentence and make it detached. A nonverbal pause is much better. When floundering for words, a nonverbal pause, placed correctly, gives the listener the effect of a dramatic or studied thought. It confirms your control over what is being said."
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:52 am GMT
Yes, I like the way the new President Elect of the United States of America speaks....I quite like his moderate General American accent even though it's impossible for me to pinpoint it to any particular part of that country which has, thankfully for the rest of us, voted him into office come 20/01/09. He's certainly reasonably skilled in the art of oratory which is more that can be said for his predecessor.

It's a deliverance! Thank you, America! We Europeans are now proud of you.

So - maybe now our guys can back home from those crummy desert wastelands.
&#12354;   Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:12 am GMT
<<As for Palin, she definitely has a sweet and cheerful voice >>

Her voice is extremely annoying, to me. I am so glad I won't have to hear her on the news anymore.
choose   Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:10 am GMT
"Her voice is extremely annoying, to me."
Were you spying on my and my friend's chat a few days ago? Cuz that is exactly what we agreed on. Her accent is just as irritating, especially when she says: "refooooooooooorm."
ChangeWeCanBelieveIn   Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:34 am GMT
That's president Obama now.
Shuimo   Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:55 am GMT
Here in China people in general welcomed the news of Obama elected as the new president of the US. It once again testifies the vitality and flexibility of America.