Does Barack Obama speak pleasantly?

Claria   Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:33 am GMT
Shuimo
I am not going to continue arguing with you on this subject, it is useless and antimoon is a forum for discussion of English, not a place to promote the websites you listed above

And please don't give the westerners the false impression that Obama is hugely popular among Chinese netizens, that is rather your illusion than fact. Chinese traditionally won't favor a person who rockets to fame with only oratory skills
Shuimo   Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:57 am GMT
<<Claria Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:33 am GMT
I am not going to continue arguing with you on this subject, it is useless and antimoon is a forum for discussion of English, not a place to promote the websites you listed above

And please don't give the westerners the false impression that Obama is hugely popular among Chinese netizens, that is rather your illusion than fact. Chinese traditionally won't favor a person who rockets to fame with only oratory skills >>

Was I promoting the websites listed above? It is yr illusion!
You owed it to me in bringing you to the realization that Tianya is by no means the most influential forum of China, still less to say the most influential online medium.

Again it was your false impression that Obama is unpopular among Chinese netizens.

Obama is not a person who rocketed to fame with oratory skills only.
Shuimo   Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:00 am GMT
Antimoon surely is a forum for the discussion of English.
But mind you English has something to do with almost everything in the world in which we live today.
Go   Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:17 am GMT
<<<I refer to www.tianya.cn, etc, just go there and I am sure you can read Chinese without problem. My impression is that most Chinese netizens are quite confused why US elected a person whose only merit seems to be his oratory skills. >>>
Americans are becoming dumber all the time. Really it's the Chinese's turn to take over and become the world's greatest superpower now.
Claria   Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:23 am GMT
Shuimo
You call the tianya guys "angry young men", but just look at the way you talk in this thread, I think you are far more angry than them. What an irony

antimoon has made it very clear that it is not a forum for discussing political issues, so don't abuse your right here. If you want to discuss more about whether Obama is really popular in China, we may find a better place, but definitely not here

To verify if tianya is the most influential forum or at least among the most influential forums, you may just Google with keywords "中国人气最高的论坛" and you will get answer. Cheers
Shuimo   Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:06 am GMT
<<Claria Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:23 am GMT

You call the tianya guys "angry young men", but just look at the way you talk in this thread, I think you are far more angry than them. What an irony

antimoon has made it very clear that it is not a forum for discussing political issues, so don't abuse your right here. If you want to discuss more about whether Obama is really popular in China, we may find a better place, but definitely not here

To verify if tianya is the most influential forum or at least among the most influential forums, you may just Google with keywords "中国人气最高的论坛" and you will get answer. Cheers >>

I do have little patience with folks with either low IQ or low EQ. Look at the way you talked here on the Antimoon, and I tend to put you on the short list of the former, in contrast to most of the Tianya members who can comfortably lay a claim to the latter. LOL

You believe that anything coming out of Google represents authority and the final say? Think about the cooperation between Google, Baidu and their commercial partners.
Shuimo   Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:07 am GMT
<<Go Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:17 am GMT
<<<I refer to www.tianya.cn, etc, just go there and I am sure you can read Chinese without problem. My impression is that most Chinese netizens are quite confused why US elected a person whose only merit seems to be his oratory skills. >>>
Americans are becoming dumber all the time. Really it's the Chinese's turn to take over and become the world's greatest superpower now. >>
It is too bold a claim indeed.
white   Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:56 am GMT
All right, enough of this jabber. I'm sure lots of Chinese like Obama and a lot don't. It's all the same to the Americans. Anyway, this is a site for discussing English, it shall not be tainted by Chinese propaganda, gimmicks or melanine.
Shuimo   Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:22 am GMT
<<white Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:56 am GMT
All right, enough of this jabber. I'm sure lots of Chinese like Obama and a lot don't. It's all the same to the Americans. Anyway, this is a site for discussing English, it shall not be tainted by Chinese propaganda, gimmicks or melanine. >>
Point taken!
LOL
Shuimo   Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:29 am GMT
Obama is every bit a charismatic guy!
I love the way he speaks and his ringing voice!
Kansas Girl   Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:33 am GMT
Me too. The sound of his voice makes me swoon.
Shuimo   Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:45 am GMT
<<Kansas Girl Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:33 am GMT
Me too. The sound of his voice makes me swoon. >>
Wow, we all have plenty of chances to hear that charming voice in the coming days ahead. Isn't that the extra benefit a US president has to offer?
O(∩_∩)O
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:10 pm GMT
***The sound of his voice makes me swoon***

I wouldn't quite do that but nevertheless I like his voice. Everything about this man is such a breath of fresh air (and hope) when compared with the guy he is succeeding - such a contrast. The British media are all praising him for his level of oratory and skill in the use of our common Language and I don't think we will miss any of the rib tickling G Dubya Presidential verbal comical gaffes of the past eight years all that much, do you?

Roll on 20 January 2009. The world awaits expectantly.
TommyHawk:   Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:48 pm GMT
What religion belief does he follow? I am still confused about this. His half-sister was born to a muslim father yet she follows Bhuddist. His name is muslim origin yet he drinks alcohol.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:56 pm GMT
***Utahan. (YOO-ta-en) Not the most euphonious word, but that's what they are***

Thank you, Uriel. It certainly looks a wee bit strange and as you say - uneuphonious (is that acceptable?)

***Why so interested in the 50 states? What sense did you get of them over there?***

Why should I not be interested in your 50 States? As Stephen say all the time you have one huge country over there in physical terms and I am particularly fascinated by the fact that this loopy Englsh bloke (boy, is he EVER so English English!) is tyraversing all those States in a humble black London taxi. Surely only an Englishman would be that eccentric, but there you go.

Annway, my main response to your query would be this, in a word - accents. I chose to view all the episode recordings of Stephen's journey across America because, with this Forum in mind, I wanted to listen to a whole range of different accents and dialects he encountered on his travels, and to see if I could determine any obvious differences from one State to another. It has turned out to be a more difficult task than I imagined.

Apart from the very obvious accents of the Deep South, and slightly less obvious ones in the Appalachian mountains of the not quite so deep South, and those cheery guys in Queens NYC, and the slightly uppity ever so slightly "posh" but decidedly more rhotic English English of those people in Boston, MA (much like you hear people speaking in those very old 1930s/1940s black and white films set in New England or wherever in the USA) - then no matter where in the USA Stephen Fry happened to be, most of the local people he chatted with, invariably in an extremely friendly and hospitable way, most of them seemed to speak in much the same way to my untrained ear.

Personally, I could not detect much difference between the accent of the people in Idaho and those in Montana, or those between Connecticut and Missouri, and so on.

Anyway, this TV series of Stephen Fry's plus the amazing election situation over there right now, well and truly places the global American image in a very good light indeed at the present time.