G-sound in ''finger''

Kirk   Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:13 pm GMT
<<That's interesting. What you might find interesting is that I have a similar rule in my accent for pronouncing postvocalic /r/. In my accent, the /r/ is pronounced when at the end of a word as in ''car'' /kja:r/ and not pronounced before a consonant as in ''card'' /ka:d/. The sound rule doesn't work across morpheme boundaries as in ''car door''.>>

So, saying "car" in isolation you have a rhotic pronunciation but not if followed by a consonant-initial word like "door?" Maybe if you didn't mind, you could just transcribe the following utterances as you'd pronounce them:

"I like that car"
"That car's old"
"The car door is rusty"
Robert   Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:35 pm GMT
<<So, saying "car" in isolation you have a rhotic pronunciation but not if followed by a consonant-initial word like "door?" Maybe if you didn't mind, you could just transcribe the following utterances as you'd pronounce them:

"I like that car"
"That car's old"
"The car door is rusty">>

No. For me, ''car'' always has a rhotic pronunciation no matter where it is. What I was saying is that I have nonrhotic pronunciations where historical /r/ comes before a consonant, but I don't have nonrhotic pronunciations where historical /r/ is at a morpheme boundary before the consonant.

Here are the transcriptions of those sentences in my accent:

I like that car - /aI laIk dat kja:r/

That car's old - /dat kja:rz o:l/

The car door is rusty - /d@ kja:r do:r Iz rVsI/
Travis   Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:59 pm GMT
Antimoon sux
Kirk   Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:02 pm GMT
Ok, thanks for clarifying, Robert! That's really interesting :)
Robert   Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:06 pm GMT
Can you post how you pronounce those sentences? I'd like to see how your pronunciation and my pronunciations of those sentences compare.
Robert   Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:08 pm GMT
That response was to Kirk.
Richard   Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:12 pm GMT
Adding a y-sound into the word ''car'' is silly.
Kirk   Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:20 pm GMT
<<Can you post how you pronounce those sentences? I'd like to see how your pronunciation and my pronunciations of those sentences compare.>>

Oh, ok, sure. I'm completely rhotic in all instances so my data won't be that revolutionary, but here goes:

"I like that car" [aI laIk_} D{t k_hAr\]
"That car's old" [D{t_} k_hAr\z o5d]
"The car door is rusty" [D@ k_hAr\ dOr\ I:z "r\Vsti]
Travis   Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:22 pm GMT
>>Antimoon sux<<

Stirb, verdammter Troll, der so böswilling meinen Namen benutzt hat, stirb!
Travis   Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:24 pm GMT
Das sollte oben "böswillig" sein.
lll   Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:35 pm GMT
<<I like that car - /aI laIk dat kja:r/

That car's old - /dat kja:rz o:l/

The car door is rusty - /d@ kja:r do:r Iz rVsI/>>

Do you have trouble pronouncing /D/ or something? Have you ever considered trying to get rid of your speech impediment?
Travis   Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:42 pm GMT
>>Do you have trouble pronouncing /D/ or something? Have you ever considered trying to get rid of your speech impediment?<<

Have you ever considered that some dialects natively stop /D/ in some positions, or lack it as such altogether? Or are you just another prescriptivist shill, who just repeats whatever Fowler and many a linguistically ignorant English teacher say?
Richard   Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:49 am GMT
<<Have you ever considered that some dialects natively stop /D/ in some positions, or lack it as such altogether?>>

I've heard of those lazy dialects before. There just plain lazy. lll has a point.
Richard   Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:51 am GMT
<<There just plain lazy.>>

They're.
Tiffany   Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:49 am GMT
Richard said: "You can roll your eyes, but if Robert is not speaking lazily, then why does he say /fIN@`/ instead of /fINg@`/ for ''finger''?"

Richard, do you pronounce the "G" in ringer? As I doubt you do (since most people don't), should I call you lazy too?