G-sound in ''finger''

Albert   Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:15 pm GMT
<<Using the alveolar trills and taps would make you sound like a nonnative speaker. No native speakers of English uses those.>>

I'm a native speaker and I use the alveolar trills and taps for my /r/ phoneme, so you're wrong there.
Lazar   Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:46 pm GMT
<<I use the alveolar approximates. Using the alveolar trills and taps would make you sound like a nonnative speaker. No native speakers of English uses those.>>

False; trills and taps are typical (probably predominant) in Scotland. And whether you like it or not, the Scots are native speakers of English.
Albert   Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:49 pm GMT
<<False; trills and taps are typical (probably predominant) in Scotland. And whether you like it or not, the Scots are native speakers of English.>>

That's very true, Lazar. I use the taps and trills and I'm clearly a native speaker.
Richard   Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:43 am GMT
<<That's very true, Lazar. I use the taps and trills and I'm clearly a native speaker.>>

No, you're not. Scots don't know how to speak English correctly.
Lazar   Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:48 am GMT
<<No, you're not. Scots don't know how to speak English correctly.>>

Yeah, we get it, you're a troll. And I have a strong suspicion that "Richard" may simply be a strawman alias of some other poster.
Richard   Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:58 am GMT
<<Yeah, we get it, you're a troll.>>

Just because I don't think Scots speak English correctly doesn't mean I'm a troll. By the way, If you were speaking English correctly than you'd not be calling me a troll, because a troll is a mythological creature. Clearly there's no such thing as a troll. If Scots are native speakers of English, then why do linguists say that what they speak is actually called Scots?
Pete   Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:09 am GMT
<<<<That's very true, Lazar. I use the taps and trills and I'm clearly a native speaker.>>

No, you're not. Scots don't know how to speak English correctly.>>

That's untrue, most native speakers use perfect English, I guess so. At least that's what they claim.

<<Just because I don't think Scots speak English correctly doesn't mean I'm a troll. By the way, If you were speaking English correctly than you'd not be calling me a troll, because a troll is a mythological creature. Clearly there's no such thing as a troll. If Scots are native speakers of English, then why do linguists say that what they speak is actually called Scots?>>

That's stupid, we cannot judge people because of the slang they use. They speak English in the Scotish way, just like in the USA they speak English in the American way. (even if I don't like it)
Kirk   Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:10 am GMT
<<Yeah, we get it, you're a troll. And I have a strong suspicion that "Richard" may simply be a strawman alias of some other poster.>>

I'm thinking "Space Flight" is a good candidate. Once a troll, always a troll, apparently. We're not dumb, Space Flight/whoever you may be.
Richard   Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:17 am GMT
<<I'm thinking "Space Flight" is a good candidate. Once a troll, always a troll, apparently. We're not dumb, Space Flight/whoever you may be.>>

You're dumb if you believe in mythological creatures. Trolls aren't real. By the way, what's ''Space Flight''?
Pete   Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:18 am GMT
What do you really mean by "troll" here guys? tell me, please.
Richard   Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:19 am GMT
They're being ignorant. A troll is a mythological creature. Hence, it's silly to call someone a troll as trolls aren't real.
Lazar   Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:22 am GMT
<<Just because I don't think Scots speak English correctly doesn't mean I'm a troll. By the way, If you were speaking English correctly than you'd not be calling me a troll, because a troll is a mythological creature. Clearly there's no such thing as a troll.>>

If you knew anything about Internet forums, then you would know what a troll meant in this context: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll (But I suspect that you knew that already and you were just trying to be a pain in the ass.) Your only contribution to this forum thus far has been to disrupt discussion and berate other dialects.

<<If Scots are native speakers of English, then why do linguists say that what they speak is actually called Scots?>>

Scots is a separate language spoken by some Scottish people which has distinct grammar, pronunciation, and spelling. Scottish English, on the other hand, is the form of the English language spoken in Scotland (in other words, a "Scottish accent") and among whose distinctive features is the fur-fir-fern distinction. By the way,

J'ACCUSE...!

I accuse Richard of not actually existing, but rather being an alias *of certain Antimoon posters* intended solely to post inflammatory comments and get on everyone's nerves. You know who you are.

And I sound facetious above because I really don't give a rat's ass about you. Why am I wasting my time composing intricate, scathing retorts to habitual trolls on an anonymous internet forum in the first place?
Kirk   Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:33 am GMT
<<J'ACCUSE...!

I accuse Richard of not actually existing, but rather being an alias *of certain Antimoon posters* intended solely to post inflammatory comments and get on everyone's nerves. You know who you are.

And I sound facetious above because I really don't give a rat's ass about you. Why am I wasting my time composing intricate, scathing retorts to habitual trolls on an anonymous internet forum in the first place?>>

Ouais. Moi aussi, j'accuse...
the cooliest   Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:31 am GMT
hello there i think trolls r super but........... not real and if u think they r well.......... whatever this site is cool!
Sho   Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:53 am GMT
Back to the thred's topic... re /g/ in finger, here's what I studied in my English class.

When the suffix -er follows a verb to form a "doer" of the action, /g/ is not added even in the medial position.
e.g. singer, swinger, stinger etc

In all other cases, /g/ is added after /N/ when it's followed by a vowel, including when the comparative suffix -er follows an adjective.
e.g. finger, younger, linger etc

Does this rule stay true for most of you guys who pronounces "singer" and "finger" differently? (besides differences in the initial consonant, of course!)