Hey British guys, I love this accent!!!

Jim C, York   Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:05 pm GMT
Arguably the English know more. Its not good form to mention these things any more.
me   Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:07 pm GMT
"Acts of murder and terrorism?

Those Irish and Scots know all about that. "

Sure, whatever you say.
Damian in Alba   Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:19 pm GMT
***Get as far as Derby then think "ahhh bollocks to it lets go home"**

Aye, wee Bonnie Prince Charlie fought his way down into England as far as Derby before he first tried the English ale and realised that it was ne'er but piss.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:23 pm GMT
***the only word I can say properly in British is arse.lol***

Well, that's a good enough start......should get you far on your first day here.....try and avoid Glasgow though until you've really got to grips with us.
Jim C, York   Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:22 pm GMT
"Aye, wee Bonnie Prince Charlie fought his way down into England as far as Derby before he first tried the English ale and realised that it was ne'er but piss. "

Thats because he went around Yorkshire, (he went down the west side of the pennines) If they had come here they would have stayed for our fine beers, and bonnie prince charlie could have hopped on a boat back to Italy, and we would all have been happy.

By the way, if you think our beer is bad, how do you explain Tennants super? Though 70 shilling isn't so bad. Its not propper stuff mind.
Adam   Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:50 pm GMT
"Sure, whatever you say. "

The IRA? The supporting of the NAZIS and the rabid anti-Semitism during WWII? The Scottish habit, in the Middle Ages, of crossing over the border occasionally and pillaging towns?
Adam   Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:52 pm GMT
"Aye, wee Bonnie Prince Charlie fought his way down into England as far as Derby before he first tried the English ale and realised that it was ne'er but piss. "

Actually, it was until him and his army of Scottish Jacobite supporters were absolutely destroyed by the Hanoverian King George II supporting Royal Army during the Battle of Culloden which occured on this day in 1746, which finally put an end to the Jacobite Uprising.
Jim C, York   Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:21 pm GMT
Adam you will have found people in Britain supporting the Nazis in the run up to the second world war, The Daily Mail actualy caused a backlash against Jewish refugees coming into the country before the outbreak of war, which stopped alot of people from escaping Germany, and other areas of Europe. You can't just blame a whole country for what a few people showed support to. There where some idiots who were very racist etc. in Britain, as well as other places, look at some of the things you say, 60 years ago I'm sure you would have been inclined to support Enoch Powell.

Scottish habit of raiding? England has done far worse to Scotland.

And finaly The IRA were terrible yes, but what we are trying to do nowerdays is forgive and forget. And in relation to the Republic of Ireland that was 90 years ago, so you might want to be more specific when you make accusations on nations characters. Are you talking about the northern IRA or the IRA of nearly a century ago?
Irish Guy   Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:57 pm GMT
Oh Adam, you should have been in Dublin today. 120,000 people celebrating the Easter rising which was the start along the road to the freedom of 26 of IRELAND'S 32 counties. A military parade and marching bands. Brilliant. It was the first real strike against imperialism this century and thankfully it continued causing the deaths of thousands of British soldiers and our eventual freedom. Ireland is a free, independent and has a booming economy. We are proud of our past and WE decide on who we celebrate and guess what, "you lot" can do nothing about it. HaHa.
Jim C, Eofforwic   Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:39 am GMT
"thankfully it continued causing the deaths of thousands of British soldiers"

I tried to curb Adams tongue, I leave it up to an Irish man to curb his.
I find that quote quite distastefull.
Irish Guy   Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:00 am GMT
I'm sorry, Jim. It was intended purely for Adam. I can't stand him and have been holding my tongue for a few months. I must admit I got a bit carried away.
Jim C, York   Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:15 pm GMT
Its allright. Having a rant at Adam would be easyer if we could some how excomunicate him from being British, then it would be open season on Adamland and all the Adamish.
me   Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:33 pm GMT
"Having a rant at Adam would be easyer if we could some how excomunicate him from being British, then it would be open season on Adamland and all the Adamish."

Are you being sarcastic?

In my oppinion the best thing to do is to ignore Adam. I've only been here a few weeks and I realise that. Don't give him the satisfaction of annoying you.
Jim C, Eofforwic   Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:20 pm GMT
It was a silly joke, only the Queen can exile someone, and she has stopped taking my calls.
Uriel   Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:56 pm GMT
Well, she's getting old and hard of hearing....

Seriously, I think most of us have written Adam off as an anomaly. And if you watch him, you'll notice that it bothers him not at all to be ignored -- he keeps chugging along blissfully in his own little sour world!