Hey British guys, I love this accent!!!

Guest   Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am GMT
I'm from neither the UK or North America, and have largely Irish ancestry. There must be a better term for an Irish person of the male persuasion than "guy". What's the Irish equivalent, "Irish guy"? I can understand that you eschew "bloke" because of its connotations of England, even though it is widely used in other countries as well, but could an Irish term not be used instead of an American one?
Guest   Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:43 am GMT
How about "Irish fellow"?
Jim C, Eofforwic   Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:55 am GMT
Maybe look for a word from the Irish language, My sister is learning Irish, I'll ask her.
An fear Fiosrach-formerly   Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:28 pm GMT
I use different names in different forums and it never cost me a second thought to use “Irish Guy”. What is wrong with the word guy?
sarah and vicki xxx   Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:04 pm GMT
we need to learn how to do a leicester accent for our drama monologs can anyone explain a bit more about it please???
love yaxxxxxxxplease write backxxxxxxxxx
Adam   Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:52 pm GMT
"What's the Irish equivalent, "Irish guy"? "

Irish baboon?"
Adam   Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:59 pm GMT
"we need to learn how to do a leicester accent for our drama monologs can anyone explain a bit more about it please???"

Considering that you are a couple of girls, I'll help you.

Leicester is the 10th largest city in England, the 13th largest in Britain and the 96th largest in Europe.

The Leicester accent is one of the more unknown accents in Britain. It's a Midlands city, so its accent is quite similar to the Brummie accent of Birmingham. I always think of the Leicester accent as being a cross between a Brummie accent and a posh Southern English accent. That is what it sounds like.
Damian in London N2   Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:51 pm GMT
Leicester is a very diverse city in the English Midlands. It has a huge Asian population and some parts of the city are almost wholly Asian. This has had an affect on the local accent, but the original Leicester accent is quite distinctive.

On the first link I've posted here you will be able to hear local market traders at Leicester market being interviewed on their mode of speech when selling their wares on the fruit and veg stands. Apparently they refer to brussels sprouts as "knobs" or "knobby knobs".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/recordings/group/leicester-groby.shtml

This second link is about the general Leicester accent and how it's changing. You will see that the locals often spell their city name simply as "Lester" because that's how Leicester is pronounced.

Two famous guys from Leicester: Gary Lineker (England footballer) ..

....and Joe Orton (murdered by his lover Kenneth Halliwell in 1967 in a fit of jealous rage at the age of 34). He wrote black farces/black comedy plays like "Loot" and "Entertaining Mr Sloane". He was a crazy guy who did a lot of crazy things and was sent to prison for a short while for defacing books with obscenities in the Leicester Public Library. When he became famous he moved from Leicester to London, where his partner took against his cruising activities. Halliwell put an end to them by drastically altering the shape of Orton's head with a hammer at their flat in Islington, and then took more nembutal tabs than was good for him. Sadly, an elderly lady friend had the misfortune to find them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/content/articles/2005/05/19/voices_appeal_feature.shtml
Damian in N2   Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:56 pm GMT
Forgot to say this...on that last link you can click into local Leicester radio live as well as East Midlands radio live...you should hear Leicester accents galore, but as I say...it's a very diverse city. No doubt Polish is making it's presence felt in the area, just like it is everywhere else in Britain right now.

Hope it helps you two lassies.

Guid nicht