United States regional accents

Un   Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:49 pm GMT
>> @Un: I would guess that you're from either Pennsylvania, or the West, or the Midwest, or Alaska, or somewhere like Virginia or Maryland, or West Virginia, or a city like Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, or Miami. I can't pin it down any more than that. <<

lol. See I told you I don't have an accent. :)
Ahn   Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:25 pm GMT
"In what way did Matt's speech sound Canadian? It wasn't even cot-caught merged."

I wondered the same thing myself :)

>> It's weird that I never notice when others say bæg but they seem to notice when I say beɪg. <<

Maybe it's that.
Point   Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:41 pm GMT
>> Well, here's mine. Although I speak plain, unaccented American English.

http://www1.zippyshare.com/v/61915552/file.html <<
-------------
There's no such thing as "unaccented" as a language is a collection of dialects. Unfortunately, I'm at work, so I can't check the file... But if you think you don't have an accent then you're probably from a larger city outside of the midwest. <<

Don't most Midwesterners think that they don't have an accent either? And that sample sounds like it could be a Midwestern accent to me.
Lee Cochran   Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:33 am GMT
i have a memphis accent / with southern mountain dropin' OF SOME T AND G / WITH A SPEECH DISORDER TRAINING LANGUAGE / MY FAMILY CAME FROM EAST TENNESSEE/MEMPHIS ACCENT SOUNDS LIKE MEMPHIS WITH LONG EXTENDED M E M PHIS
LEE COCHRAN   Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:40 am GMT
EVEN THOUGH I DROP THE T AND G ''''' I THINK IT IS QUICKER AND MAKES ME TALK FASTER AND SPEND LESS ENERGY WHICH IS HELPFUL
Jasper   Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:47 pm GMT
I don't know about that one, LEE. It seems to me that all that dipthongization and tripthongization would be more work for the tongue, not less.