"Half ten" - nine-thirty or ten-thirty?

Terry   Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:33 am GMT
<<I can't believe anyone's still arguing about this.

It doesn't matter what ante meridian means in Latin, whether it's 12 o'clock or zero hour, or what your personal definition of illiterate is; everyone uses 12 am to indicate midnight, and 12 pm for noon.>>

I'm with you Uriel. I'm amazed at how it's gone on and on.
Meh   Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:36 am GMT
"You said midnight is 12 AM, because your alarm clocks say so. "

What's an alarm clock? Oh...that relic of a contraption from another era.

Meh, I'm not a Yank nor a Brit. You really are a tortured soul, mixing nationality with politics and war for the sake of your pride. Get over yourself, Willie ... here, have your bone back. Woof woof!
Bill the Yank   Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:46 am GMT
"I'm with you Uriel. I'm amazed at how it's gone on and on."

And yet you all go on.

You haven't refuted a single, central point I've made, indeed you deserve Oscars for evasion.

Engage me word for word if you DARE.

But, you won't.

Or, you will pretend that your ripostes mean something. But, please keep in mind that words mean things, and your words will live on here on the web. This troubles ME not at all.

Gosh. And Gee!!

There were SO MANY of you beating my brains out before...

WHERE have you all gone?
Guest   Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:16 am GMT
Look at the time...almost 12 pm and the sun's high in the sky. I'm out to lunch! Toodles
Terry   Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:07 am GMT
<<"I'm with you Uriel. I'm amazed at how it's gone on and on."

And yet you all go on.

You haven't refuted a single, central point I've made, indeed you deserve Oscars for evasion.

Engage me word for word if you DARE.

But, you won't. >>

Actually, that was my first post on this thread as I'm afraid the subject didn't' interest me. That's all. That's why I said, I'm amazed at how long it's gone on.

I couldn't engage you, as I'm rather ignorant on the subject, and there was no offense meant to you, Bill.
Bill the Yank   Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:25 am GMT
Well, Thanks, Terry.

Glad to know there are some honest people here.
Bill the Yank   Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:31 am GMT
Guest looks at her store-bought clock and thinks it's the last word. Oh you all are SUCH deep academics here.

LOL
Terry   Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:59 am GMT
<<Well, Thanks, Terry.>>

You're welcome, Bill. Thanks for accepting my apology.
Guest   Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:15 am GMT
Academic Bill looks at her extra-peripheral clock and gets lasered between his teary eyes, losing his mind and unable to get the last word out.

Oh you are all of one big cry-baby!
Bill the Yank   Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:19 pm GMT
"What's an alarm clock? Oh...that relic of a contraption from another era."

This poor soul has to pretend that I'm referring to that wind-up, analog clock, when I am quite obviously referring to a digital alarm clock, in order to maintain his/her self-delusion of being right.
Candy   Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:04 pm GMT
<<Hi Candy,

Got a response to what I wrote you?>>

Actually, I'm not terribly interested in this debate. I'm much more interested in your assertion that the UK would now be German-speaking without the intervention of the US in WW2. Why don't you tell me exactly how you think this would have happened, given that any danger that Germany would invade the UK was over by autumn 1940? How would the UK be entirely German-speaking 60 years after the end of the war?
Heehee   Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:17 pm GMT
Okay, I said to go easy on Bill, but he's taken this a bit too far :-p.

Cool down, Bill, and don't drink so much chardonnay. Put the argument down for now. I get your point, but you really don't have to be so vehement about it. It's clear that things won't change, so just give it up, all right? I get what you mean... things ARE confusing to English learners, but so what? Honestly... little in this world makes sense and nothing is perfect, but we must learn to accept things as they are.

So please... clamp your beak, silly goose ^.~
Meh   Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:45 pm GMT
Bill the wank' is just proudly living up to his name. Once he hits the bottle, he determines the fate of the world and the outcome of WW2 with his nationality, an alarm clock and delusions of grandeur.
Uriel   Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:42 pm GMT
<<Actually, I'm not terribly interested in this debate. I'm much more interested in your assertion that the UK would now be German-speaking without the intervention of the US in WW2. Why don't you tell me exactly how you think this would have happened, given that any danger that Germany would invade the UK was over by autumn 1940? How would the UK be entirely German-speaking 60 years after the end of the war? >>

Pure silliness, Candy; don't bother your head with this drivel. I'm not minimizing our contribution to WWII -- my grandfather and his brothers all fought in Europe -- but really, the Nazi regime was a cult of personality -- once Hitler was gone, it imploded quickly. It was not a sustainable idea, and had WWII ended differently, things probably would have set themselves right at some point anyway.
Candy   Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:56 am GMT
Hi Uriel. I also don't want to minimise the important US contribution to WW2 in Europe, for which I'm grateful, but to say that the UK would be German-speaking is beyond absurd. Even if the Germans *had* conquered the UK - and that's a huge 'if' - why would we have given up the English language?? Drivel is definitely the word.