Is Scottish Accent Understandable?

MattNickson   Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:07 am GMT
i av many scottish frnds n its realli hard to figure out wt they sayin Lol ....their way ov sayin terms like " yer maw " "yer dah " "yooohs " lool .

but scotish ppl r juss fantastic frm their hearts . cheers

http://www.englishsoftware.org/
Adam   Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:49 pm GMT
Many Englishmen can't understand some Scottish accents.

Maybe it's not the accents themselves, but the facts that most Scots usually slur their sppech through their drunkenness, a common occurrence up there.
poinsettia seeker   Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:08 pm GMT
<<Many Englishmen can't understand some Scottish accents.>>

Are there also many accents in England proper that are completely unintelligible to non-locals?
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:34 pm GMT
***Are there also many accents in England proper that are completely unintelligible to non-locals?***

One comes to mind immediately for total and complete and utter unintelligibility - that of the Bolton area of Lancashire. Even some locals born and bred there can't even fathom it out but that may well be due to the innately chronic low IQ of most of its inhabitants arising out of inbreeding.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:07 am GMT
Ponsettia seeker - seek no more! Take yourself down to your nearest Sainsbury's and you will see a whole array of these plants in full red and green glory, and in cool baskets. Many people think they are flowers, when in fact they are not - it's a case of different pigmentation in the leaves, which partly accounts for their longevity, apparently.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:08 am GMT
I mean of course - POINSETTIA and not ponsettia.
Memento   Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:42 am GMT
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvMbeVQj6Lw

I think most folks would understand well over 99% of what this guy is saying. "

I think he's right though.The US government did fail African-Americans, but I think Obama will right some of those unjust actions.
poinsettia owner   Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:51 pm GMT
<<Ponsettia seeker - seek no more! Take yourself down to your nearest Sainsbury's and you will see a whole array of these plants in full red and green glory, and in cool baskets.>>

Poinsettia problem solved -- Adams Fairacre Farms, Route 9G, Kingston, NY