Do Irish students have to take TOEFL test?

Singlish   Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:06 pm GMT
Do Irish students have to take TOEFL test when applying for colleges in America?

What about Indian students, Singaporean students and South African students? English is an official language in their countries.
Johnny   Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:22 pm GMT
I guess only Indians, and maybe people from Singapore need to take it. English is not the first language in India, but I am not sure about Singapore. According to Wikipedia, they speak a kind of creole (Singlish), but I don't know how many of them do so.

As far as I know, most people from India and Singapore sound like non-native speakers to Americans, Brits, and Aussies, and their writing looks non-native too.

After having looked up some stuff about Ireland, I realized I don't know anything about that either. Is Hiberno-English very different? I have always considered Ireland as an English-speaking country where English is the first and official language. So maybe I am wrong, but... No TOEFL for them anyway.
Another Guest   Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:57 pm GMT
Isn't it rather odd to base it odd nationality? There are people who are born in the US who never learn English, and there are people in other countries for whom English is their first language. What about people with dual citizenship?

If someone isn't fluent in English, won't that be reflected in their SAT scores?
pepactonian   Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:16 pm GMT
Are there any native Irish Gaelic speakers left in Ireland these days? If they didn't know English too well, I'd expect for them to take the TOEFL.
Matt   Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:13 am GMT
There are Gaelic speakers in Ireland, but they are also fluent in English.
guest   Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:16 pm GMT
Do people need to take the toefl test if we live in the US more than 4 years? But english is not the first language.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:48 pm GMT
The idea is preposterous. Is your iaim one to make the citizens of the Emerald Isle choke on their pints of Guiness?

Ireland is a legitimate part of the English Speaking World, every bit as much as is Great Britain or the United States of America, so to suggest that our Irish brethren take part in any TOEFL exercise in any other part of the ESW is a gross insult to them. Apologise at once!

English is the official Language of Ireland, spoken by 100% of the population on a daily basis.

Irish Gaelic is spoken by only a small minority of the Irish people on a daily basis, very similar to the situation here just across the St George's Channel over here in Scotland with regard to Scots Gaelic.
John Cowan   Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:42 pm GMT
Damian, you say the idea is preposterous, and so it is; but never underestimate the humorlessness of American officialdom.

When Tom Shippey, the mediaevalist and Tolkien scholar, was in the final stage of applying for U.S. citizenship, he was asked (pro forma) to say and write a sentence of English to prove his fluency in the language. He quoted an aphorism from _The Lord of the Rings_: "Need brooks no delay, but late is better than never", referring to the nine years his application had been pending. The official then had the bald-faced audacity to say "That's not English."

But all's well that ends well: he had his lawyer present.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:20 pm GMT
I like it! Thanks, John. As regards "humour" - it's an essential part of the British psyche, whether official or not. I wonder how many other countries find the words "a sense of humour is essential" in many of their job advertisements? It's assuredly the case here in the UK. Office banter is a way of life here and if you ain't got a sense of humour then you are in a wee spot of bother, and that's for sure, as well as the ability not to take offence in situations which may well appear "offensive" on the face of it, but which, in reality, are not intended to be "insulting or mean spirited" in any wat at all, and in fact mostly means the exact opposite to what has been actually said or implied.

A comedian from Liverpool gave his reasons for humour being an essential part of the Scouse (Liverpool) character (which is certainly true) is that you absolutely need a sense of humour in order to be happy living there.

It's probably the case for the entire United Kingdom as well! ;-)

Interpret it all as you so wish!