Is it possible to say "It can rain soon"?

Hgt   Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:20 pm GMT
Is it possible to say "It can rain soon"?
If we can say it, is it good or bad English?
D   Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:27 pm GMT
The sentence is grammatically correct, but without context it doesn't make much sense. In some contexts it would be fine, in others it would be wrong.
Smith   Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:55 pm GMT
''Is it possible to say "It can rain soon"?''

It's possible to say anything. The question should be ''Is it correct to say ''It can rain soon''?
Someone   Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:20 pm GMT
That sentence doesn't sound right. You should say "It could rain soon." or "It might rain soon."
Ekko   Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:10 pm GMT
Someones got it. I never heard anyone say that.ever.
Steven   Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:18 am GMT
Dear Hgt,

As D states the sentence is correct grammatically - or rather syntactically. All the parts of the sentence are in the right place. There is a problem, however, with this sentence which means it doesn't reallly work.

The word 'can' in English implies potential. Something that can happen is something that may or may not happen.

Your sentence though says 'can happen soon'. That means that you know it is going to happen and that is going to happen soon. You even know when it is going to rain. This means the potential is no longer in doubt. So 'can' is the wrong word, here.

Here are some other ways of using 'can/will rain':

'It will rain soon'

'It can rain in the dessert'

'It can rain a lot in Barrow-in-Furness)' (although that probably should be 'It will rain a lot in Barrow-in-Furness- there's very little doubt and it has the highest rainfall of any place in Great Britain.)

By coincidence, the construction 'can rain' is used in one of the most famous of the late Middle English lyric songs (c1520). Here it is with the original spelling:

O westron wynde when wyll thow blow
the smalle rayne downe can rayne
Cryst yf my love wer in my arms
and I yn my bed agayne

It says: 'Let the western wind blow and bring the rain and drizzle with it. Christ, I wish I was in bed with my loved one.'

Steven