Is "Brit" an insulting term?

Adam   Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:47 am GMT
"It was designed that they would always be in the majority."

No it wasn't. All the Catholics have to do is put behind them the silly notion that condoms are a "sin" and then have loads more children than the Protestants and then the majority of people in Northern Ireland will be republican.

In the meantime, Northern Irish stays British. I mean, even if Britain handed over NI to the Republic of Ireland, England would then be bombed by Unionists complaining that we handed NI over to the Republic against the wishes of the Northern Irish people.
Adam   Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:23 pm GMT
I'm reading a book called "To Rule The Waves" written by the American Arthur Herman and it is about how the British navy shaped the modern world.

The chapter that I'm on now is talking about why there were so many English (and Welsh) sailors, such as Humphrey Gilbert who tried to find the Northwest Passage and Sir Francis Drake (who helped the Earl of Essex massacre hundreds of Scottish men, women and children on Rathlin Island three miles from the Irish coast and 13 miles from the Scottish coast) in Ireland during the 16th Century - many of them were sent there by Queen Elizabeth I to "civilise" the Irish.

To Sidney, the Queen's Lord Deputy who wanted to colonise Ireland, the Irish were "savages", almost less than human. He said his goal was to "make the name of an Englishman more terrible now to them than the sight of a hundred was before." He planned a series of settlements in the northeast part of Ireland - it's most dangerous part - and to steadily drive the Irish out.

In 1569, the Irish then rebelled against the English "plantations" in Ireland. The first revolt, led by James Fitzmaurice Fitzgerald, burnt down the Englishman Grenville's house and massacring entire English families. The English then retaliated and slaughtered every Irish man, woman and child in sight. Those that were spared were forced to crawl on their bellies through a long line of the severed heads of their loved ones.

Englishman Thomas Smith, founder of a plantation on Ardo peninsula in County Down said God had made the English fit "to inhabit and reform so barbarous a nation....and to teach them our English laws and civility and leave robbing and stealing and killing each other."
Uriel   Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:19 pm GMT
My god, you're reading something by an AMERICAN? I bet you wash your hands carefully after each chapter!
Guest   Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:12 pm GMT
>>I'm reading a book called "To Rule The Waves" written by the American...<<

Golly gosh, old chap, you're incorrigible!
Guest   Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:34 am GMT
Adam ! Can I ask you a honest question ?

How old are you ? I am not joking !

I am just curious !
Pog mo hon   Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:36 pm GMT
Adam you seem to have a serious contempt for the Irish people as a whole. I assume you're simply an english child who has read to many war stories about englands magnificent empire that protected the world from tyranny. Grow up
Saoirse   Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:54 pm GMT
"All the Catholics have to do is put behind them the silly notion that condoms are a "sin" "
If your parents had taken the proper precautions then we would'nt have to put up with your constant crap.Cut out the petty bickering and face the fact that the border was drawn up in order to give England a permanent control on this island.England is a country which managed to steal a third of the world and claims that anyone who resists it is a terrorist.
"I mean, even if Britain handed over NI to the Republic of Ireland, England would then be bombed by Unionists complaining that we handed NI over to the Republic against the wishes of the Northern Irish people."
England hand something back.Don't make me laugh.It hasn't given back anything without a fight.
Loyalists would more than likely bomb the free state and an all out war would begin.They would cause about the same amount of destruction the IRA served up to you lot but then again the free state forces have always showed ruthless their side when they have targeted republicans in the past.But as I wrote, England won't hand anything back.Either by democracy or by force.Either is fine.
Guest   Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:48 pm GMT
Such Anglo Saxon behaviour is a barrier to World Peace.

Americans and the British should be shot for crimes against sane normal people.
Guest   Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:59 pm GMT
<<England is a country which managed to steal a third of the world >>

With the help of the Irish filling the ranks.......

I'm not really sure what any of this has to do with English language though!
Saoirse   Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:53 pm GMT
"Such Anglo Saxon behaviour is a barrier to World Peace.

Americans and the British should be shot for crimes against sane normal people. "
Your words, not mine. I, of course wouldn't condone such violence
Guest   Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:00 pm GMT
If England hadn't nicked a third of the world then maybe some other country would have and therefore this forum would be disscussing a different language. Just a thought.
brityank   Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:12 pm GMT
BRIT IS LIKE A YANK. an accepted insult !!!
Guest   Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:18 pm GMT
""Go back to school. It is not. The Union flag is the flag of Britain. "

So it's the flag of the English then, isn't it? "
Then England has two flags.Thats not fair.What makes you lot so deserving of two.
Adam   Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:24 pm GMT
England does have two flags. The St George's Flag and the Union Flag. So do the Scots - the Saltire and the Union Flag.

Anyway, the English make up 83% of the population of the UK, with a growing population. Scotland's population is shrinking. Within 100 years, the population of the UK could be 93% English.
Guest   Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:15 pm GMT
"Anyway, the English make up 83% of the population of the UK, with a growing population. Scotland's population is shrinking. Within 100 years, the population of the UK could be 93% English."

SO!