Is "Brit" an insulting term?

Guest   Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:42 pm GMT
"Anyway, the English make up 83% of the population of the UK, with a growing population. Scotland's population is shrinking. Within 100 years, the population of the UK could be 93% English."
What are you getting at? Should The Scots and all us in Wales be forced to live under the English Flag.
BNP   Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:57 pm GMT
""Anyway, the English make up 83% of the population of the UK, with a growing population. Scotland's population is shrinking. Within 100 years, the population of the UK could be 93% English." "
What are you getting at? Should The Scots and all us in Wales be forced to live under the English Flag.
The scots and you lot are basically controlled from London anyway so what difference does it make.Your petty home rule parliaments or whatever they are called have no real power anyway.You belong to us.
Guest   Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:59 am GMT
BNP strikes again. You're new but I can see you don't lack tact.Please if you post, share something constructive.
Damian in Scotland   Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:17 am GMT
The BNP are an irrelevance. At this very moment in London their leaders are in court on charges of incitement to racial hatred in the United Kingdom. But racism should operate both ways...most "-isms" don't seem to, somehow.

I don't think many British people consider the term "Brit" to be insulting, even though it apparently started when the IRA in Northern Ireland referred to the opposing British troops as Brits. Maybe that was intended to be a barbed insult. It's now becoming accepted as an informal way to refer to us, whether Scots, English or Welsh, and nobody seems to get all in a fash about it.
Adam   Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:12 pm GMT
"What are you getting at? Should The Scots and all us in Wales be forced to live under the English Flag."

Us English are forced to live under the "Tartan Raj" and have two of our three main political parties soon-to be ruled by Scots (Sir Menzies "Ming" Campbell - Liberal Democrat; Gordon Brown - Labour) so I think the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish should live under the English flag.

Fair's fair.
Adam   Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:17 pm GMT
Slang words for British people.

Limey
Limey is an old American and Canadian slang nickname for the British, initially specifically sailors. The term is believed to derive from lime-juicer, referring to the Royal Navy and Merchant Navy practice of supplying lime juice (an antiscorbutic) to British sailors to prevent scurvy in the 19th century. The term is believed to have originated in the Carribean in the 1880s. A fake etymology is that it is a derivative of "Gor-blimey" ("god blind me!").

Pommy
The term Pommy for a British person is commonly used in Australian English and New Zealand English, and is often shortened to Pom. The origin of this term is not confirmed.

One etymology of the term is thought to be that, as the majority of early immigrants to Australia were British, it is rhyming slang for "immigrant" from a contraction of the word "pomegranate", or possibly more directly related to the appearance of the fruit, as it bears a more than passing resemblance to the typical pale complexioned Briton's skin after his or her first few days living under the hot Australian sun.

Another etymology, is such that POM is a shortened acronym of Prisoner of His/Her Majesty (POHM). This refers to the fact that most of Australian's first settlers were convicts, sentenced to transportation. Upon arrival in the country they would sport a "uniform", with the four initials emblazoned on the back. Convicts with an extended stay on Australian soil would no longer have to wear the shirt, and would often refer to newer entrants into the country as "Pohmmys". The modern term excludes the H. Such actions could have presumed the Australian trait of self-joking. But though this may be commonly believed, it is believed to be false, as the term was coined long before acronyms were believed to be used in common parlance.

Other suggestions are mostly along the lines that POM is a different acronym, such as "Prisoner of Mother England" or "Port of Melbourne", referring to the fact that the earliest Australian settlers were convicts. None of these explanations bears up under scrutiny.

Some etymologies can be considered false etymologies, however there is a little to no evidence of a truthful conclusion to the word.

The use of the word 'Pom' is considered mildly derogatory - some may use it to cause offence, or to address the British nation as a whole, but it is mostly used as a friendly derogatory term amongst people who know each other well, especially if one of them is British and the other Australian.

Rooinek
In South Africa the term 'Pom' may also be used, while Afrikaans speakers use the term rooinek (literally 'red neck', on account of the sunburnt skin).

Britisher
In India, the term 'Britisher' may still be encountered, but is largely obsolete elsewhere.

John Bull
John Bull was originally a character created by John Arbuthnot in 1712 to satirise the Whig war party. Later in the 18th century, British satirical artists James Gillray, Thomas Rowlandson and George Cruikshank contrasted the stout and healthy British cartoon character with scrawny French revolutionary sans-culottes Jacobins. In the 19th century the U.S. cartoonist Thomas Nast also drew the character.

Tommy
The name Tommy for a soldier in the British Army is particularly associated with World War I. German soldiers would call out to Tommy across no-man's land if they wished to speak to a British soldier. The French, and Commonwealth forces also used the name. Tommy is derived from Tommy Atkins which had been used as a generic name for a soldier for many years (and had been used as an example name on army registration forms). The precise origin is the subject of some debate, but it is known to have been used as early as 1743. Rudyard Kipling published the poem Tommy (part of the Barrack Room Ballads) in 1892 and in 1893 the music hall song Private Tommy Atkins was published with words by Henry Hamilton and music by S. Potter. In 1898 William McGonagall wrote Lines In Praise of Tommy Atkins.

Brit
The term Brit seems to have become popular in more recent times, particularly in US usage. The term is not usually offered offensively and is generally not perceived as such, however there are circumstances in which it is used pejoratively, for example by supporters of Scottish independence when referring to their Unionist opponents.

Redcoat
The term Redcoat is basically a slang term for a British soldier. This term was especially used from the mid-17th century to around 1898 when the British Army wore Scarlet red-coloured coats in their typical military dress.

wikipedia.org
Guest   Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:38 pm GMT
"Slang words for British people."
They're slang but would you find them in anyway insulting since you are from wales or somewhere like that are you not?
Mary had a little lamb   Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:09 pm GMT
I did'nt know Adam was Welsh.I'm surprised, the welsh aren't usually such little shits.
Benjamin   Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:28 pm GMT
Wales is a part of Britain, and the Welsh are British by definition.

>>Rooinek
In South Africa the term 'Pom' may also be used, while Afrikaans speakers use the term rooinek (literally 'red neck', on account of the sunburnt skin).<<

This one seems to apply more to white South Africans who speak English as their native language, rather than to British people.
BNP   Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:42 pm GMT
"Wales is a part of Britain, and the Welsh are British by definition."
Damn right it is,we own and only let welsh twats like Adam stay there out of the goodness of our hearts.
Benjamin   Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:00 pm GMT
Just to clarify, my comment regarding the Welsh being British wasn't intended as a right-wing nationalist opinion; I was simply saying whether a person is Welsh or not would not really affect whether or not they took offence to derogatory terms for *British* people.
Guest   Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:41 am GMT
<>>Rooinek
In South Africa the term 'Pom' may also be used, while Afrikaans speakers use the term rooinek (literally 'red neck', on account of the sunburnt skin).<< >

LOL yep my wife's family calls me a 'Rooinek' though I wouldn't find it offensive but actually amusing. But one thing you shouldn't apply this situation to the word 'kaffer' (quite like 'nigger' but must more offensive) it is quite an offensive word no matter if you tried meant it into a humourous way.

Sorry for using such bad language but it's something we must face.
Damian in Scotland   Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:54 am GMT
**the Welsh aren't usually such little shits.**

They most certainly aren't! I was in Wales last week and the people I met were lovely, and I felt a Celtic affinity in Anglesey (Ynys Mon* in Welsh) where I was for a couple of days. Adam is certainly NOT Welsh either! He has clearly proved that in all his c&p dominated posts going back for what now seems like a lifetime. All his anti Scottish diatribes simply wash over me like the cool crystal clear waters of a Scottish mountain stream.........

*Ynys Mon = pronounced phonetically as Unnis Morn (a cirumflex over the O in Welsh makes it a drawn out long vowel sound). In English it simply means the Island of Mona. It's that island off the North West coast of Wales, and the only way over to the island from the mainland (over the Menai** Straits which is less than half a mile wide anyway) is over a suspension bridge. There is another bridge carrying the main line railway.

** Menai = pronounced phonetically as Men Eye.

That info is for Adam in case he is interested in learning Welsh......a vain hope I fear.....
Guest   Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:13 pm GMT
Lock this thread please,please,please!!!It's going to kick off again.
BNP   Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:47 pm GMT
"That info is for Adam in case he is interested in learning Welsh......"
Why would he bother.