Is "Brit" an insulting term?

Damian - Scot/Brit   Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:14 am GMT
I take the easy way out.....I would much rather be called a Scot first and foremost. Being called a Brit is ok by me too......it has the same short, sharp no nonsense ring to it like Scot.

Reading the posts I can see more clearly where the term Brit originated. However I know that the Republicans in Ireland (eg the IRA) used the term Brit very venomously, so that contributes to the derogatory tone the word can have. But I don't mind being called a Brit.....but prefer Scot. Please.
Kenna D   Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:43 pm GMT
Britishers :)
Uriel   Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:36 pm GMT
<<However I know that the Republicans in Ireland (eg the IRA) used the term Brit very venomously, so that contributes to the derogatory tone the word can have.>>

Ah, I didn't know about that, and I would assume most Americans don't, either. But that would shed some more light on the subject, all right!

When WE use it, it's an entirely neutral term, with no bad connotations at all. It's even -- dare I say it? -- cute. Like Aussie or Kiwi.
Bill the Yank   Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:11 pm GMT
Yank and Brit

Hmmmm...... I didn't realize that "Brit" was/could be offensive. When I've used it, it's as a term of friendly familiarity. When we know you, and like you, your name will get shortened.

"Yankee" was a very derogatory term used by the British toward the American Colonists. They sang a song called Yankee Doodle Dandy. Well, it's a pretty lively song, and we kind of liked it, and we've been Yankees, and proud of it ever since. One of our oldest, and most successful Baseball teams is the New York Yankees.

During our Civil War/War Between the States the Northerners were called by the Southern rebels, and called themselves Yankees. Southerners were Johnnie Rebs. After the war during the difficult occupation period we call Reconstruction, Northerners became Damn Yankees, and still are in a friendly sort of way.

During the Civil Rights struggles of the 1960s [Please, not "1960's"] I recall reading about a Northern black high school student who moved to a newly integrated school in the south. He was a star athlete, good looking, and smart.

One day in class he got into a heated exchange with a Southern white girl who was also a popular leader. It got tense, with racial overtones heavy in the air. Finally, glaring at him, she shot back, "Well, YOU'RE nothin' but a, a, a.......a DAMN YANKEE!!"

And everybody collapsed in laughter.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:45 pm GMT
I would never call an American a Yank...especially to his/her face, as I would think they would not appreciate it because of its association in American history. Nevertheless, a good many Brits do refer to them as Yanks but not necessarily in a derogatory way.

There is a British independent radio station called TalkSport which has general phone-ins during the night 22:00 to 06:00hrs. One of their regular presenters is an American (from Boston) who has now taken dual US/UK nationality and is now resident over here permanently. He is very, very American in his style and presentation and he is (mostly affectionately) referred to by some of the other presenters as "The Yank".
Bill the Yank   Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:27 pm GMT
Damian,

Our two experiences are sort of an inverted, or opposite parallel. I've been calling, and referring to Britons thinking of it as a friendly nikname. I wasn't intending to be offensive, but was.

You not wanting to be offensive, refrain from calling me something that wouldn't offend me at all.

For me, "Brit" was equivalent to "Yank." For you "Yank" was equivalent to "Brit." Heh heh, language is fun.
Bill the Yank   Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:36 pm GMT
Here's the audio and lyrics:

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/yankee.htm

George Washington was still a Captain!
Tiffany   Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:50 pm GMT
Yes, nothing offensive about Yankee. I am not one (from Florida), but if a Briton called me one, I would jsut look at that person a bit strangely (as I am not one) but I wouldn't be offended in the least. I always thought of "Brit" the same way. Perhaps you did not call yourself that, but it was nothing offensive...
cap   Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:06 pm GMT
how about kraut, is that insulting to germans?
Adam   Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:27 pm GMT
Mention "Redcoat" to an Americans and they soil their trousers.
Adam   Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:29 pm GMT
"Damn Limeys stealing our money! I still don't like them even though my father was one."

Revenge for American soldiers stealing our women when they were based in Britain during WWII.
Adam   Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:31 pm GMT
"Yeah, you're probably right, Uriel - but they get so carried away with themselves, when they only show events that British competitors are in, only focus on them, and then constantly the words 'the Brits'....aagghh!! "

The British focusing on British contestants? How odd.

You'll never see the Americans or French or anyone else focusing on their own sporting athletes, will you?
Bill the Yank   Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:40 pm GMT
Here's the audio and lyrics:

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/yankee.htm

George Washington was still a Captain!

http://www.yourdictionary.com/library/yankee.html
Terry   Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:03 pm GMT
<<Mention "Redcoat" to an Americans and they soil their trousers. >>

Or the word "Tories." In New England and I'm sure elsewhere in the American colonies, many families (including my own) descend from British sympatizers but no one ever mentions it. People pretend that their ancestors were all Revolutionary patriots.
Rick Johnson   Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:26 pm GMT
<<In New England and I'm sure elsewhere in the American colonies, many families (including my own) descend from British sympatizers but no one ever mentions it.>>

Rather like the thousands of Irish Catholics who fought in the British Army around the world in the 1800s. There are a couple of my ancestors who fought in India and the Crimean War. It was only last year that the Irish government acknowledged that Ireland had had a global military past.