during cold war, russian vs english

Togo   Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:33 am GMT
Was Russian or English more important during the 'cold war' period?
ASU55RR   Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:44 am GMT
depends on what side of the Iron Curtain you were on.
D   Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:12 am GMT
Both were pretty influential during that time. Of course, English would have been more influential worldwide but then again, Russian had a great amount of speakers among Soviet countries.
Propaganda Bottle   Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:43 am GMT
Hmm, that makes me wonder. Russian lost much of its influence over night and was suddenly only a regional language. Could the same happen to English today, if America collapsed, or is it too ingrained? Some would say Russian was 'too ingrained' in Eastern Europe.... I guess there would need to be a ready candidate to replace it also...
A more original name   Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:22 am GMT
<<Russian lost much of its influence over night and was suddenly only a regional language. Could the same happen to English today, if America collapsed, or is it too ingrained?>>

It can happen to English, like to Russian 15 years ago and other languages (We can not say which one because you start other battle again).

It will be probably 5-7 World languages, very important in their regional area.
Fukuyama   Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:31 pm GMT
The REAL question:

Is Russian or English more important during the current 'cold war' period?
Caspian   Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:18 pm GMT
My grandad was in the British Navy during this time. He told me once that the Russians were heading towards America, and they gave the Russians 12 hours to turn around before they nuked them - and they were serious! Luckily, they turned around.

English was more important, I think - if you were on our side, anyway!
PARISIEN   Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:13 pm GMT
La langue russe n'a jamais été très influente sur l'Europe de l'Est.
Dans le langage est-allemand, les seuls concepts soviétiques qui aient réussi à percer ont été des mots non-slaves comme 'Kombinat'.

Le seul mot réellement russe qui s'est implanté en Allemagne de l'Est, à ma conaissance, a été 'Datsche' (de 'Datcha'), pour une petite résidence de week-end en bois.

Autrement, pour la technologie, le langage DDR a assimilé des mots et acronymes anglais, par ex. "CAD-CAM" ("Computer am Dienstag, Chaos am Mittwoch"...)
Cold Warrior   Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:29 pm GMT
<<English was more important, I think - if you were on our side, anyway! >>

I spent my Cold War years near Box Elder, SD, at Ellsworth AFB (44MIMS/44SMW/SAC/USAF) aiming Minuteman II ICBMs straight north. (yeah, I'm old)

I seem to recall that we always spoke English out at the missile sites -- never Russian.
Bulgy Bear   Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:55 pm GMT
Caspian
You're probably referring to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Missile_Crisis
Thomas   Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:46 am GMT
They were of equal importance during the cold war. Refer to the many university doctorates written on the subject.
real true   Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:36 am GMT
"Bulgy Bear Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:55 pm GMT
Caspian
You're probably referring to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Missile_Crisis "

I only know the fact:

The reason that Soviet Union gave up their missle deployment on Cuba because USA and Soviet Union had a secret agreement that USA should withdraw the missle deployment on Turkey before Soviet Union giving up missle deployment on Cuba!
real true   Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:42 am GMT
USA withdrew missle deployment on Turkey after Soviets giving up deploying missle on Cuba

http://www.hpol.org/jfk/cuban/
Perry   Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:17 am GMT
Yes, Kennedy was involved.
Andy   Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:54 am GMT
What was the extent of Kennedy's involvement?