Long "o" fronting in the Midland

JLukeItaly   Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:11 am GMT
Ok I'm talking about the sound in "boat", "coat", "row", "low", "bowl", "toe".. (oʊ, in IPA), in American English

I've been reading a lot about the american accent on wiki latety, and I stumbled upon this passage:

"The North Midland and South Midland are both characterized by:

advanced fronting of /oʊ/: the phoneme /oʊ/ (as in boat) is fronter than in many other American accents, particularly those of the North; the phoneme is frequently realized as a diphthong with a central nucleus, approximating [ɵʊ]. "

Can someone explain this to me?
What's the onset of the sound? I used to pronounce the diphtong oʊ starting with a Close-mid back rounded vowel (o), and then adding a slight ʊ sound at the end...
So how should I pronounce the onset if I wanted to front it? If I had to follow wikipedia on this , I should just start with a Close-mid central rounded vowel (ɵ) , and then add the ʊ, but I'm not quite convinced.. it sounds too much british to me... maybe I didn't get the American way of saying the Close-mid central rounded vowel right... Can anyone help me (maybe linking some audiofile and/or explaining the righ articulation, tongue,lips and jaw position would be useful...)?
Thanks
Lazar   Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:20 am GMT
I don't know so much about the status of that phoneme in the Midlands, but in my speech (in east-central New England) I pronounce it as [ɤʊ], with a mid back unrounded onset.

As for sounding British, there are some realizations for that phoneme in AmEng that might strike you as British - for example, there's a significant fronting and opening of the onset in North Carolina, which you can hear in the speech of John Edwards.
Milton   Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:30 am GMT
[ɤʊ] is frequent in shifted Californian, although the conservative Californian pronunciation is [o] ([oʊ] by some speakers)
Travis   Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:08 am GMT
This makes me think of how /o/ is pronounced here in southeastern Wisconsin. The classic pronunciation here is just [o] with no diphthong, while some more General American-influenced speakers will use [oʊ]. However, a small portion of younger people here today will use a fronted diphthong between approximately [ɵʉ̯] and [œy̯] (but mind you that such is nowhere near as common as the analogous shifting in many other English dialects, as I suspect that it may actually be a dialect borrowing of sorts).