Avril Lavigne , the French descendant, never sings in French

Lavigne   Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:39 pm GMT
What an ironic thing that francophone claims that French is widely spoken in Canada
Sheller   Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:39 pm GMT
And most talented French singer William Sheller never sings in English.

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/Sheller/video/xmbks_william-shellerles-filles-de-lauror_music

(One of the greatest pop songs ever, live in Brussels)
Guest   Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:54 pm GMT
Nobody knows him, but Avril is popular
Estel   Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:16 pm GMT
As the matter of fact, she did sing in French at least once. Her single "Girl Friend" was sung in various languages. That includes French as well.
Rikho   Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:01 pm GMT
She doesn't even speak French. She only memorised the words of that song, sung the song, and then forgot them again.
K. T.   Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:35 pm GMT
I don't know if she speaks French or not, but it's true that actors and singers (and possibly politicians) will "seem" to speak a language when they are simply reading a script or singing a song.
Guest   Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:39 pm GMT
Obviusly it would be absurd to learn a language to sing just a few songs in that language.
K. T.   Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:21 pm GMT
It depends. For pop singers who do business overseas or for opera singers who work with international people, learning to speak on some level could open up a market.
Jock   Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:46 pm GMT
<<It depends. For pop singers who do business overseas or for opera singers who work with international people, learning to speak on some level could open up a market. >>

Not likely for a person singing in English. English music is already in the markets in all Western countries, so learning French would not really expand the market since the French market is already there. On the other hand, non-English speakers pretty much have to sing in English to break into the gigantic Anglophone market. It's an extremely rare occurrence when a non-English language song makes it high in the charts in Anglophone countries, and even if one does, it's always a 'one hit wonder'.
glop   Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:19 am GMT
Excuse me but that subject is stupid, because i am frecnh from portuguese descent, i don't speak portuguese. So why should A LAVIGNE speak french?

She does not need it.

Nobody says Canada is francophone, are you talking about Quebec?
Celine Dion likes English   Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:46 am GMT
Even Celine Dion that was born in a poor and isolated Quebec village prefers singing in English.

Her English is perfect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyAYnn2yrl8
Estel   Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:02 am GMT
No Celine Dion doesnt prefer singing in English. She's a proud Quebecoise and loves singing in French. As Celine herself has stated, her show will never be completed without at least one song in French.
Estel   Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:03 am GMT
BTW, I never said Avril Lavign speaks French. I just said that she does sing in French.
spykel   Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:11 pm GMT
Avril Lavigne is an anglophone from Napanee, Ontario. I highly doubt that she speaks French. Remember that North America is a very diverse place; a person's name doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the languages they speak.
The truth   Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:55 pm GMT
North America's languages:

English: USA, Canada: some 300 million people (66%). Very important language.

Spanish: Mexico, USA, Canada: some 160 million people (35%). Second language of the area. Very important.

French: Canada (Quebec, basically): hardly 7 million people. (1.5%). Third language of the area, but an insignificant minority.