Catalan a Frankish-Romance+Gothic-Romance hybrid?

Guest   Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:53 pm GMT
Can't you read? It says clearly French.
Josh   Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:14 am GMT
"29% with German"
Would that mean that nearly 29% of total German vocabulary is Romance or Latin derived?
Leasnam   Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:36 pm GMT
<<"29% with German"
Would that mean that nearly 29% of total German vocabulary is Romance or Latin derived? >>

Not necessarily, as French and German borrow words from each other. There are many German words in French owing to that 29% and vice versa
Josh   Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:40 pm GMT
"Not necessarily, as French and German borrow words from each other. There are many German words in French owing to that 29% and vice versa "

I see. Would shared Indo-European derivatives like "Nacht" and "nuit" also count?
Leasnam   Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:30 pm GMT
<<I see. Would shared Indo-European derivatives like "Nacht" and "nuit" also count? >>

Probably. Don't see why not

tu and du
nez and Nase
mer and Meer
mère and Mutter

these show lexical similarity
Guest   Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:57 pm GMT
Does Meer mean Sea in German? I thought It would be something like Zea, or something.
Guest   Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:13 am GMT
Meer in German means "sea"

"See", the cognate to English 'sea', means "lake"/"inland sea"
Ouest   Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:21 am GMT
Brennus Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:53 am GMT
Catalan is very much a Romance language. The Germanic influences on it are slight and come mostly from French. Like Spanish and Portuguese, it has a thin Iberian and Celtiberian substratum which shows up in words like gos (dog), piçarra (slate), marrá (ram) and coma (dale; small valley).

The point is not that Catalan is not a Romance language. Your "thin Iberian and Celtiberian substratum" is just not so unique for Catalan. What has made Catalan a special language is, that it was politically unified and isolated and settled by both Goths and Franks. The difference between Spanish and French is not due to the respective Iberian and Celtiberian substrata but to the respective Gothic and Frankish settlement.