Why German is unpopular

poster   Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:01 am GMT
Hi 12345,
"Die Mädel - De meid ---- Das Mädchen - Het meisje "

In German, it's 'das Mädel', but there is also 'die Maid'. The latter sounds archaic though.

"I think -icht is neuter as well: Het licht, het zicht, het wicht, het gewicht etc."

Words with -icht are not always neuter in German, like 'die Sicht' and 'der Wicht', but you are right with 'das Licht' and 'das Gewicht'.
eastlander   Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:52 am GMT
In english all is the same- "the sight","the weight","the light".
12345   Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:43 pm GMT
«poster Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:01 am GMT
Hi 12345,
"Die Mädel - De meid ---- Das Mädchen - Het meisje "

In German, it's 'das Mädel', but there is also 'die Maid'. The latter sounds archaic though.

"I think -icht is neuter as well: Het licht, het zicht, het wicht, het gewicht etc."

Words with -icht are not always neuter in German, like 'die Sicht' and 'der Wicht', but you are right with 'das Licht' and 'das Gewicht'. »

Hmm I see, I always thought Mädel was feminine. Die Maid also looks more like 'de meid' in Dutch.

"icht" is not always neuter in Dutch as well:
Jicht - De jicht (feminine) (Gicht in German)

But well, both German and Dutch have numerous of exceptions in their languages.
HappyHippo's   Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:48 am GMT
das Weib (neutral)
the Wife (feminine)
12345   Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:24 am GMT
Het wijf

(But you shouldn't use it here, else you'll get a slap in the face...)
Mark   Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 pm GMT
Germany has the third largest economy in the world . And actually It is Portuguese that is spoken in Brazil. The reason German might be so high in Brazil is also due to the fact that a lot Of Germans immigrated there.
Gisele Bündchen   Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:53 pm GMT
Right. It is estimated that there are around 12 million "Teuto-brasileiros" in Brazil, which is 6,6 % of the total population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Brazilian
Heidi Klum   Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:35 pm GMT
Gisele Bündchen Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:53 pm GMT
Right. It is estimated that there are around 12 million "Teuto-brasileiros" in Brazil, which is 6,6 % of the total population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Brazilian

More than 25% of US population state to have German ancestry - that doesn´t make German and Germany popular in the US, does it?
Tupac   Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:01 pm GMT
You could say that about any immigrant culture that became Americanized, even British apart from the English language.
zoroastro   Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:23 pm GMT
<<More than 25% of US population state to have German ancestry - that doesn´t make German and Germany popular in the US, does it? >>

In theory it should be but remember that Germany and USA were enemies during the I and II World Wars, so everything related to Germany and the Germans became extremely unpopular in USA during the first half of the XX century and since then the German language did never recover its popularity in USa but prior to the I WW German was the most studied foreign language . Perhaps in a not so distant future the US Americans will realize that they are mostly Germans that speak English in the end and will study German again. USA will be called New Germany.
Claudia Schiffer   Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:29 pm GMT
Then G.W. Bush is New Hitler and Obama is New Jesse Owens.
G7   Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:56 pm GMT
"USA will be called New Germany. "

Perhaps the Latin America will be called "New Europe" then.
Guest   Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:17 pm GMT
In fact Bush is a German surname.
Elizabeth Nietzche   Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:19 pm GMT
Latin America will be called New USSR.
poupette   Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:01 pm GMT
"Perhaps in a not so distant future the US Americans will realize that they are mostly Germans that speak English in the end and will study German again. USA will be called New Germany. "

Lol, 25% German ancestry is not enough for it to be called New Germany.