Comment about Tom’s new article.

Randy   Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:18 pm GMT
"In 1993, I got into the best high school in Wroclaw."

"I would've had more time to develop my programming skills."

I must admit that life would be easier if we all speak the same language. There aren't many arguments against a unilingual world. However, after reading Tom's autobiography, I reckon that he was in a privileged position. For the reason that he wasn't born into a poor family, he had more opportunities than others. Maybe not all people have ample money "to develop their programming skills." What I'm saying is that you don't need a teacher to learn English well. You can learn it well enough to get a decent job - for example in a call center - although you don't have money.

To summarize my point is that Tom says what he says because he doesn't know what it's not to have bucks to study. Perhaps if he was born in Amazonia or into a poor family he'd think in a different way.
realist   Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:43 pm GMT
What Tom fails to understand is that language means as much to people as say religion. Whether that is good or bad is up to you, but it is certainly the reality. I think a world without religion or with one single religion would be an excellent thing, however it just isn't going to happen, and if it does happen it will be in the distant future and only be through great conflict and conquest.
Guest   Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:36 am GMT
If everybody ends up speaking the same language then nobody will be able to experience of learning a different language that Tom enjoyed so much anymore! So Tom is contradicting himself.
me says that:   Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:30 pm GMT
I just don't get the point of this whole shit; English will never be the only language spoken by all the peoples. So, you are all fucking idiots writing to this thread. Thank you very much.